Arrival and stay at TUM

1. Register with the residents’ registration office

All residents of Germany are required to register their addresses within 14 days (as soon as a place of residence has been found). Any person moving within Munich or moving away from Munich must change their address or de-register. Please remember to notify all important authorities (TUM, health insurance, etc.) of your new address. 

Documents needed for registration

  • ID or passport
  • Registration form (available free of charge from the registration authority; available for download)
  • Confirmation from your landlord, "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung": You will receive this document when you move in to the accommodation.

Currently, in some offices (e.g. KVR Munich) the registration is possible via ordinary post as well. Please check on the websites of the responsible authorities for their way to register. 

Responsible registration office

Ruppertstr. 19, 80337 Munich
Tel.: 089 – 233 – 1

Website of the Munich citizens' offices

Under the menu point „Meldeangelegenheiten”, select   1 „An- oder Ummeldung – Einzelperson“ and click on „Weiter“. Find the Citizens Advice Bureau closest to your home and arrange an appointment

Tip: Often, there are appointments left for the current day. The Bureaus publish those free slots on their  websites about thirty minutes before office hours. So it may pay off to check the website regularly if there are no free appointments when you check it.

Freising town hall (Citizens' office)
Marienplatz 1, 85354 Freising
Tel.: 08161 – 544 33 21

Municipal administration Garching 
Rathausplatz 3, 85748 Garching
Tel.: 089 – 32 08 90

If you do not live in the city of Munich, Garching, or Freising, but in one of the neighboring communities, the residents’ registration office is located in the town hall of the community. You can find the addresses of the town halls in the internet under Gemeindeverwaltung (community administration). The town halls have different opening hours. According to the Bavarian Registration Law, the confirmation of registration must be presented to the landlord. 

Please note: You will also have to deregister when you leave Munich.

2. Apply for a residence permit (if applicable)

see Entry requirements

If you have entered Germany with a visa, you may need to apply for a residence permit as decribed here. If TUM arranged the BAMF confirmation for you, you do not need to apply for a residence permit. 

must apply for a residence permit by three months after entry at the latest

see Entry requirements – Overview of visa requirements / exemptions must apply for a visa at the German Embassy in their home country and, when in Germany, apply for a residence permit for the valid period of the visa. Exception: If the visa was issued for the entire duration of the stay abroad, it is not necessary to apply for a residence permit.

Documents needed for application

In some offices (e.g. KVR Munich) to apply for a residence permit is possible via an online system of the office of foreign affairs (see adresses under "Responsible authoritiy"). Please have the following documents ready to upload them during the application process for your residence permit: 

  • Completed application form (can be found on the websites of the responsible authorities)
  • Valid passport
  • Enrollment certificate from the Technical University of Munich
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial resources of € 861 (will increase to 934€ / month from January 2023 on): Financing must be secure for at least one year. If you are granted a scholarship of less than currently € 861 monthly (from January 934€/month), you must submit additional evidence from your parents or from a sponsor to make up the difference in the amount. 
  • Visa for study purposes, if applicable
  • Recent biometric passport photo

Fees: Issue of a residence permit € 100 , extension € 96

Futher information can be found on the websites of the office of foreign affairs (see next part).

Responsible authority

Ruppertstr. 19, 80337 Munich
Tel.: 089 – 233 251 34

Website of the Munich Foreigner's Office 

Applying for a residence permit 

Please find a step-by-step explanation to apply online for your residence permit below under Downloads and Safety information.

Please note:
If you need an appointment in case of an emergency this needs to be arranged online . The site is only available in German at the moment.

Please proceed as follows: Choose number of persons applying for the residence permit. Click 'Weiter'. Choose date and time. Enter personal data. Click 'Reservierung abschließen'.

District administration Freising
Landshuter Str. 31, 85356 Freising
Tel.: 08161 – 60 00

Website of the district administration Freising

District administration Munich
Mariahilfplatz 17, 81541 Munich
Tel.: 089 – 62 210

Website of the district administration Munich

If you do not live in the city of Munich, Garching, or Freising, but in one of the neighboring communities, the responsible authority can be found in the town hall or district administration.

Important: Please report to the Foreigners Office at least a month before your visa expires, even if some documents are missing. You will then receive a temporary certificate as proof that you have applied for the residence permit. Please only bring along original documents and make a copy for yourself. Any person who needs an extension must apply for it at least a month before expiration of the residence permit. 

3. Open a bank account

As in Germany you can only pay your rent (utilities, etc.) via money transfer, international students are advised to open a bank account (check account) as soon as possible after their arrival. Account management is free of charge, if you are able to identify yourself as a student. As at the time of account opening you may not have a student identification yet, you should explain this to the bank and submit your TUM Student Card at a later date.

Documents needed for opening a bank account

  • Passport
  • Registration certificate issued by the residents‘ registration office
  • Student ID or enrollment certificate 
  • Tax ID

Immediately after opening an account you will be given the number for an account where you can deposit or withdraw money. Usually, you will receive the EC card for your account a few days later.

Since 2018, it is obligatory in Germany to show a tax ID when opening a bank account.

  • When coming to Germany, please bring with you your own tax-ID from your home country.
  • Where to find it? Visit the OECD portal or ask your home university / family.

You can also get a German tax ID:

  1. Find an accommodation in the city / environment of Munich.
  2. Register at your local resident registration office.
  3. Around six to eight weeks later you will receive it via post.

Please note: Landlords and most institutions, such as the University Sports Center, will need your bank data immediately, so you typically cannot wait six to eight weeks for the tax ID. To avoid inconvenience, bring your tax ID from your home country when opening a bank account.

The major banks in Germany are: Deutsche Bank, Dresdner Bank, (Stadt-)Sparkasse, Volksbank, Raiffeisenbank, Hypovereinsbank, Spardabank, Postbank. As long as you only wish to open an account, their terms and conditions do not vary significantly.

As a student, you will receive the following advantages:

  • Free account management
  • Free cash withdrawals from cash machines of the respective banks
  • Free domestic payment transfers,
  • Internet banking
  • EC card in order to pay cashless and to withdraw money.

If you want to open a bank account before you arrive in Germany, you can of course sign up for an account through an online bank, e.g. N26 if this fits to your plans. 

4. Get your TUM Student Card

Each student enrolled at TUM is eligible for a Student Card. This card is  your student ID at TUM. You can use it e.g. as basic ticket for the local public transport in Munich, for the uni library, and also pay for lunch, snacks, and beverages in the canteen and at vending machines if you put money on your card.

As soon as you are fully enrolled at TUM, you need to order your Student Card in the “my TUM-Card” app in TUMonline. As for exchange students this process is different than for regular students, please only order your TUM Student Card by entering following address data: c/o TUM G&A Office Incoming, Arcisstr. 21, 80333 Muenchen, Germany

After you did it please wait for further instructions you will receive from the TUM Global & Alumni Office via e-mail where and when you can get your TUM Student Card. If you stay with us during the winter semester, you will receive this e-mail in September, if you come to TUM for the summer term, you will get the mail in March. 

However, before picking up your Student Card, you can already print out several study documents via your TUMonline account, e.g. your proof of enrollment.

Further information on the TUM Student Card

5. Determine if Confirmation of Stay is required

Please clarify with your home university if you need a certification of your stay signed by TUM and if so, your home university will provide you the form. 

If your home university requires this Confirmation of Stay, please contact the International Affairs Delegate at your department or school. The certification will be signed by your departmental or school representative after your first academic activity at TUM, e.g. participating in the orientation weeks, taking a language course, etc.

Please note: TUM Global & Alumni Office is not authorized to sign any documents. For any signatures, therefore please contact the responsible International Affairs Delegate of your department or school.

6. Attend info events of TUM G&A and departments / schools

During the orientation weeks, participate in the numerous information events to integrate smoothly at TUM and in Munich. In addition to the general events organized by the TUM Global & Alumni Office, most departments and schools host information events.

7. Learn about the semester ticket & buy IsarCard Semester, if needed

With their Student Card, all students receive a time-limited basic ticket for the Munich public transport. Additionally, you can purchase the IsarCard Semester, with which you can use the public transport in Munich and Garching 24/7.

8. Find a part-time job

Foreign students enrolled in a German university may work up to a maximum of 120 full days or 240 half days (max. 4 hours/day) per calendar year. Additionally, part-time student employment at a school of higher education is permitted throughout the year. However, for this you require the authorization pursuant to immigration law from the Foreigners’ Office in your residence permit (Section 16, para 3 AufenthG, German Residence Act). Any employment beyond this will generally not be possible. Exceptions can only be made in individual cases for temporary hardships or with a special justification. However, students do not have an automatic right to this exception. 

EU students from the "old" EU states are normally permitted to work for an unlimited period of time (within the scope of the general provisions for students); citizens of the "new" EU states (accession from 2004 on) require permission from the employment agency for employment for more than 120 days. 

In case of an employment relationship (e.g. Mini job, Hiwi-job, working student) during an exchange stay to at least finance themselves on a partially part, there is an obligation to have health insurance.

Helpful contacts

The Career Service of the Technical University of Munich is available to TUM students and TUM alumni. On the central online job and internship board of TUM, you can easily search for internships, jobs for working students, master's theses, dissertations, trainee positions, and permanent employment at TUM, in companies, and other academic institutions.

You can also find much information and many tips on the Working at TUM website

Students can work as student assistants at TUM within the scope of research projects or work at an institute or academic chair. Vacancies are published on the bulletin boards of the chairs and institutes and can be found online

When applying for scientific work at an academic chair during the semester, the following documents must be presented to the local Foreigner's Office:

  • Personal statement regarding need to work
  • Intermediate diploma or certificates acquired so far
  • Confirmation from the academic chair with regard to type and duration of the employment and number of hours per week
  • Proof of financing since the last extension of the residence permit

The Students’ Service helps students to find jobs with only several weeks duration, but also offers short-term occasional jobs allocated by a lottery procedure. The latter is called Schnelldienst, which means quick service.

Students’ Service of the Job Center Munich
Tumblingerstr. 21, 80337 Munich
Subway: U3/ U6 – station: Goetheplatz
Schnelldienst: Tel. 530 – 980 30
Long-term placements: Tel. 530 – 980 33 or 36 

The following documents must be presented:

  • Certificate of enrollment
  • Identity card or passport
  • Passport photograph

Together with the company Die Job-Börse, the Munich Student Union maintains its own employment agency. Via jobcafe you can find internships, jobs for working students, side jobs and permanent employment for students and graduates. This service is free of charge for all persons seeking employment. 

Mensa of TUM campus Garching
Lichtenbergstr. 2, 85748 Garching
Tel.: 089 – 32 73 06 28