The TUMexchange program enables students from our partner universities outside the EU to study at TUM for up to three semesters. This is an excellent opportunity for international students to study at one of the world's most renowned universities and to thoroughly familiarize themselves with the German language, culture, and lifestyle at one go.
How it works
- Express interest in going to TUM at your home university, which must have a partnership agreement with TUM.
- The universities select candidates and e-nominate them for the TUMexchange program.
This e-nomination has to be done by the home university for every student via the MoveON platform. Information and links about how to e-nominate as well as further instructions regarding the application process at TUM will be sent to all partner universities in March for the winter term and in September for the summer term.
- If you are nominated, you can apply directly at TUM.
- The representatives of your TUM department or school will verify your application documents and decide on acceptance.
- In the final step, you will receive your acceptance letter from the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
The time frame for the nofication depends on which semester you will spend / start at TUM: in December for the summer term, in July for the winter term.
Prerequisites for TUMexchange
- Your home university must have a partnership agreement with us.
- Your home university must nominate you for a place on the TUMexchange program.
- You must remain enrolled at your home university.
Please get in touch with the International Center of your home university to find out about the application process applicable at your institution.
At TUM, the departments or schools are responsible for academic issues. In addition, some topics also depend on the department / school at which you will be studying. So if you are looking for information on the questions listed below, please refer to your respective department or school:
- Do I need to search for courses or modules? How can I find courses offered in English?
- Which courses or modules can I study at TUM in order to enter them in my study program for my application?
- When will my (online) Learning Agreement (for Erasmus+) / study plan be signed? Whom do I need to enter as "responsible person"? Who will sign it?
- How to understand the 60:40 rule of the TUM courses / modules?
- Can I write a thesis in the TUM department / school?
- Once I have been accepted, how and when can I register for courses / modules at TUM?
- Who signs my Confirmation of Stay (for Erasmus+) or other documents?
- How do I receive my transcript at the end of the semester?
Incoming websites of all TUM departments and schools at a glance
- Aerospace and Geodesy
- Civil, Geo and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Sport and Health Sciences
- Munich Center for Technology in Society
- Munich School of Engineering
- TUM Campus for Biotechnology and Sustainability (Straubing)
- TUM School of Education
- TUM School of Governance
- TUM School of Life Sciences (Weihenstephan)
- TUM School of Management
Once you are nominated for TUMexchange by your home university, you must apply to TUM during one of the application periods. The process is as follows:
- Register on the online application portal first
Please note: Our online application is optimized for Firefox 5 or higher as well as for Google Chrome. Make sure to use only one of these browsers!
- Fill in the form Application for incoming students completely and upload all necessary documents.
Please note: Your TUM admission letter as well as all information e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address you use in the online form. Therefore, please make sure to check your inbox and spam folder on a regular basis, so you do not miss any deadlines or other important information.
Please fill in all required forms in the language in which you intend to study at TUM. We accept all documents written in German or English. If necessary, please translate them and have the translated versions certified and stamped by your home university.
The following documents must be uploaded to the online application portal:
- One page, tabular, German or English
- German or English, maximum two pages
- Describe your academic and personal goals
All TUM Departments and Schools will request a certificate verifying your current German and/or English skills:
- If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in English: Verification of your English skills
- If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in German: Verification of your German skills
- If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in German and English: Verification of your German and English skills
In most cases, the required level is at least B1. Exceptions: TUM School of Management, TUM School of Education, and the Center of Life and Sciences in Weihenstephan, where a level of at least B2 is required.
- The certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school. Self-assessment tests without signature of the home university cannot be accepted.
Transcript of records
- An itemized academic performance to date is required. If you are a master's student, please also include your transcript from the bachelor's degree.
Overview of current courses at home university
- You need to submit a document listing the courses you are enrolled in during the current semester, which are not listed on your transcript (please use the template under Downloads)
Study plan at TUM
- A preliminary list of courses or modules you want to attend at TUM, German or English, typed
For specific information regarding courses or modules, examinations, etc., please first check the webpage of your TUM department or School, which you can find under Information on courses or modules, exams, the study plan at TUM or (online) Learning Agreement and other academic matters at TUM.
While preparing for your stay at TUM and before taking a look at the academic offer of TUM in general, first check on the website of your TUM Department or School regarding the possible offers in that specific Department / School (e.g. if you can choose courses or modules) and where to find them.
- At least 60% of the courses or modules you register for must be offered by the TUM Department / School you will be enrolled in at TUM.
- It is a preliminary list. Later changes (also after arrival) are possible and even likely.
- This document does not to need to be signed by students / home university / TUM at the time of your application at TUM.
- As study plan TUM accepts any kind of document.
- Signatures of TUM are at earliest given after your acceptance at TUM (from July for winter term / from December for summer term), depending on the TUM Department / School even later.
- For questions regarding the recognition of the courses you wish to take at TUM, please contact your home university.
Photocopy of passport / ID
- If applicable
- Within the application form, in the 'Further information' area, you will find a section about accommodation, where you can tell us whether you are interested in the service package offered by the Munich Student Union.
Submit your application
Once you have uploaded and submitted all documents, you will receive your online application form in PDF format. Submit this application following the instructions on the portal.
Please note: Only complete applications, which include all required documents can be processed and forwarded to the Admissions and Enrollment Office by the specified deadline.
If any documents are missing, we will notify you by mail, but will suspend the processing of your application during the application period until all documents have been submitted. Late submissions cannot be processed.
Downloads and Safety information
Enrollment as a Practical Project Student at TUM within the scope of TUMexchange
We also offer students participating in the TUMexchange program the opportunity to enroll as a Practical Project Student as part of their stay at TUM.
- The research project has to follow a prior study stay at TUM
- The research project must be arranged by the students themselves
- It must be at TUM or a TUM institute
- You have to be enrolled at TUM
You can find vacancies on the TUM Jobportal of Alumni & Career Services and on the general TUM job portal in the category Student assistant positions, internships and student jobs.