Research stays for international students

International students have various options to come to TUM for short-term research stays. For example, you can enroll as a Practical Project Student at a TUM chair or write your thesis in whole or in part at TUM. Your stay at TUM can also be funded through programs, such as Erasmus+ and Fulbright, available through your home university. Students from selected universities in North America and from the Imperial College London are furthermore offered the summer program TUM PREP for a research stay.

Research stays

International students can be enrolled as Practical Project Students for up to three semesters if, e.g., they are participating in a TUM research project or writing their thesis at one of our Schools.


The Practical Research Experience Program enables students from North American partner universities and students from the Imperial College London to participate in an exclusive summer research program during their summer break.

Accommodation search tips for Erasmus exchange students at TUM

Are you coming to TUM to study within the framework of Erasmus+ or to gain practical experience at a TUM research institution and still need to find accommodation for your stay in Munich or Garching? Then this video is for you.