General information for international exchange students
Which requirements must be met so I can study at TUM for one to three semesters? How do I apply? What do I need to do after receiving the admission letter? What do I have to do after my arrival – and before I go back home? We have answers to all these questions.
Requirements for a stay at TUM
- Your home university must have a partnership agreement with TUM.
- You must apply for a stay abroad through your home university and subsequently get e-nominated for a place in one of the TUM exchange programs.
This e-nomination has to be completed by the home university for every student. Information and links about how to e-nominate as well as further instructions regarding the application process at TUM will be sent to all partner universities in March for the winter term and in September for the summer term.
- You must remain enrolled at your home university.
- You must provide evidence of language proficiency in German or English.
How you apply
Erasmus+, TUMexchange, etc.: depending on your home country, different exchange programs are available for one to three semesters of study at TUM.
Therefore, for more information check the available programs with the respective course offerings of the schools and their application processes.
On this page we offer specific information for all exchange students who have a disability, chronic illness, learning impairment, or wish to bring their children with them.
To dos after admission
- Clarify entry requirements and apply for visa, if necessary
- Enroll at TUM
- Obtain health insurance and other insurance (optional)
- Transfer the semester fee
- Calculate your cost of living
- Financing of your stay abroad
- Register for courses after being informed to do so
- Organize your trip to Germany
- Get to know the university
- Seek accommodation
Arrival & stay at TUM
- Inform yourself about safety advice
- Register with the residents’ registration office and apply for a residence permit, if applicable
- Open a bank account
- Get your Student Card
- Determine if Confirmation of Stay is needed
- Attend info events of the TUM G&A Office and the schools
- Learn about basic ticket & buy the "Deutschlandticket" if needed
- Look for a part-time job, if needed