General information for international exchange students

Which requirements must be met so I can study at TUM for one to three semesters? How do I apply? What do I need to do after receiving the admission letter? What do I have to do after my arrival – and before I go back home? We have answers to all these questions. 

Requirements for a stay at TUM

  • Your home university must have a partnership agreement with TUM. 
  • You must apply for a stay abroad through your home university and subsequently get e-nominated for a place in one of the TUM exchange programs.
    This e-nomination has to be completed by the home university for every student. Information and links about how to e-nominate as well as further instructions regarding the application process at TUM will be sent to all partner universities in March for the winter term and in September for the summer term. 
  • You must remain enrolled at your home university.
  • You must provide evidence of language proficiency in German or English.

How you apply

Erasmus+, TUMexchange, etc.: depending on your home country, different exchange programs are available for one to three semesters of study at TUM.

Therefore, for more information check the available programs  with the respective course offerings of the schools and their application processes.

Special needs
On this page we offer specific information for all exchange students who have a disability, chronic illness, learning impairment, or wish to bring their children with them.