The ATHENS program offers students and doctoral candidates from 24 partner universities from 15 different European countries the opportunity to spend an uncomplicated period abroad at TUM to gain an insight into research and teaching. The one-week program combines challenging academic courses with a cultural program in the Bavarian capital. The specialized courses take place twice a year – in mid-March and mid-November – simultaneously at all ATHENS universities.
ATHENS Week in November 2022
The next ATHENS week will take place from November 12 - 19, 2022.
At present, it is not determined yet whether the courses offered at TUM will take place on-site or in a virtual form.
The application period with new course catalog for this session will be announced in time.
Would you like to gain your first experience abroad and come to TUM? Get to know life, teaching and the mentality of the Munich host university? Then take advantage of the ATHENS program and attend a one-week intensive course on topics in engineering and natural sciences, mathematics, computer science, political science and economics at one of the ATHENS partner universities. Cultural activities are organized to complement the course and are an integral part of the ATHENS Session. Participation in the program is free of charge, the costs for travel and accommodation have to be covered by yourself.
How it works
- Selection of courses at TUM / or at the partner universities via the ATHENS portal according to the course catalog on the website.
- Application and nomination exclusively via the home university
- Nomination and place allocation by ATHENS coordinators
- Participation in the 30-hour intensive course incl. final examination
- Participation in the 10 to 15 hour European Dimension Program (accompanying cultural and leisure program)
Participation requirements for the ATHENS week
- Enrollment at one of the 24 participating home universities
- Fulfillment of the respective course prerequisites, see course descriptions
- First year of study successfully completed
Only students from the ATHENS partner network can apply for the stay. The application must be submitted via the home university.
- The selection for a place in one of the courses is made by the ATHENS coordinators on the basis of your application.
- The allocation of a place for a course is done centrally via the General Coordinator in Paris.
- The announcement of acceptances/rejections will be sent approx. one week after the application deadline.
- Your application is binding. Therefore, only apply if you are sure that you will be able to participate in the ATHENS Week.
- Clarify in advance whether an absence at your home university is possible for the time of the ATHENS Week in your study program.
- Find out in advance about the costs incurred in Munich. You can find an overview on the ATHENS website.
- Participation in all program points is obligatory (subject course and European Dimension Program).
- Please inform yourself in time about the time of the kick-off event at TUM and plan your arrival accordingly.
- Please note the cancellation deadlines when booking accommodation and transportation. In case of cancellation of participation due to unforeseen reasons, you will have to bear the incurred cancellation costs yourself.
- In the event of an unforeseen cancellation from the ATHENS program, TUM cannot cover any costs incurred as a result. We therefore recommend that you purchase rebookable flight tickets or travel tickets.
Offer courses in the framework of ATHENS Week
ATHENS Week is also a great event for TUM lecturers: During this week you will have the chance to try out new teaching methods and gain experience with international students. Moreover, you will represent TUM on an international level and thus receive an excellent opportunity to recruit Master's and PhD students from all over the world. Submissions are open until September 1, 2022.
More information and a course submission form template can be found under Downloads.