The ATHENS program offers students and doctoral candidates from 23 partner universities from 15 different European countries the opportunity to spend an uncomplicated period abroad at TUM to gain an insight into research and teaching. The one-week program combines challenging academic courses with a cultural program in the Bavarian capital. The specialized courses take place twice a year – in mid-March and mid-November – simultaneously at all ATHENS universities.
ATHENS Week in November 2021
The next ATHENS week will take place from November 13 to 20, 2021.
The courses offered at TUM will take place in virtual form.
The application period with new course catalog for this session opens September 25, 2021.
Application deadline is October 10, 2021, at noon.
Would you like to gain your first experience abroad and come to TUM? Get to know life, teaching and the mentality of the Munich host university? Then take advantage of the ATHENS program and attend a one-week intensive course on topics in engineering and natural sciences, mathematics, computer science, political science and economics at one of the ATHENS partner universities. Participation in the program is free of charge, the costs for travel and accommodation have to be covered by yourself.
How it works
- Selection of courses at TUM / or at the partner universities via the ATHENS portal according to the course catalog on the website.
- Application and nomination exclusively via the home university
- Nomination and place allocation by ATHENS coordinators
- Participation in the 30-hour intensive course incl. final examination
- Participation in the 10- to 15-hour European Dimension Program (accompanying cultural and leisure program)
Participation requirements for the ATHENS week
- Enrollment at one of the 23 participating home universities
- Fulfillment of the respective course prerequisites, see course descriptions
- First year of study successfully completed
Only students from the ATHENS partner network can apply for the stay. The application must be submitted via the home university.
- The selection for a place in one of the courses is made by the ATHENS coordinators on the basis of your application.
- The allocation of a place for a course is done centrally via the General Coordinator in Paris.
- The announcement of acceptances/refusals will be made in mid-October 2021.
- Your application is binding. Therefore, only apply if you are sure that you will be able to participate in the ATHENS Week.
- Clarify in advance whether an absence at your home university is possible for the time of the ATHENS Week in your study program.
- Find out in advance about the costs incurred in Munich. You can find an overview on the ATHENS website.
- Participation in all program points is obligatory (subject course and European Dimension Program).
- Please inform yourself in time about the time of the kick-off event at TUM and plan your arrival accordingly.
- Please note the cancellation deadlines when booking accommodation and transportation. In case of cancellation of participation due to unforeseen reasons, you will have to bear the incurred cancellation costs yourself.
- In the event of an unforeseen cancellation from the ATHENS program, TUM cannot cover any costs incurred as a result. We therefore recommend that you purchase rebookable flight tickets or travel tickets.