The ATHENS Programme offers students and doctoral candidates of TUM the opportunity to stay abroad at 24 partner universities in Europe (e.g. ParisTech, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Czech Technical University). Twice a year – in mid-March and mid-November – specialized courses take place at the same time at all ATHENS universities.
ATHENS Week in November 2023
The next ATHENS week will take place from March 16 to 23, 2024. The course offering will be communicated on the ATHENS portal in January.
The application period for the ATHENS session in March 2024 will be announced in December. There are two steps to apply: first directly via the ATHENS portal and then via TUM online application portal.
During ATHENS Week in March 2024, BIP (Blended Intensive Program) courses will be offered in addition to the traditional ATHENS course in face-to-face format.
Due to limited spots in the regular and BIP courses, applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Would you like to gain first-hand experience abroad and get to know the life, teaching, and mentality of a different major European University? Then take advantage of the ATHENS Programme and attend a one-week intensive course on engineering, natural sciences, mathematics, computer science, political science, and economics at one of the ATHENS partner universities.
Participation in the program is free of charge. However, the costs for travel, accommodation as well as activities of the cultural program European Dimension Activities have to be covered by the participants themselves.
BIP course with Erasmus+ funding: One week in presence at the partner university + one additional virtual course phase before/after ATHENS Week.
How it works
- Select at least four courses at the participating partner universities via the ATHENS portal
- Upload of application documents via the TUM online application portal
- Nomination and confirmation by ATHENS coordinators
- Participation in the 30-hour intensive course incl. final exam (regular ATHENS course) or
Participation in the 30-hour intensive course plus virtual phase before/after ATHENS Week incl. final exam (BIP course)
- Participation in the 10-15 hour cultural program European Dimension Activities
- Upload of the mandatory documents in the TUM online application portal for the record of stay in the Diploma Supplement
Participation requirements for the ATHENS Week
In order to apply for the ATHENS Programme, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Enrollment at the TUM
- Fulfilling the respective course requirements, see course descriptions
- First year of study successfully completed (Bachelor programme)
- Check course offerings on the ATHENS portal (available approximately two months prior to ATHENS Week
- Check the course descriptions to find out about the participation requirements
- Apply only to courses for which you meet prerequisites (e.g., subject-specific prerequisite courses, required year of study)
- Select at least four courses for better chances of participation
- Chances are that you will be nominated for your 4th choice. Therefore, select only courses in which you actually want to participate
- Course language is usually English, at French universities sometimes French. Please ask in case of doubt
The application for ATHENS is done via two web portals:
1. Course selection in the ATHENS portal
- Fill out and submit the registration form in the ATHENS portal, then print and sign it
- Print and sign the student commitment
- Write a motivation letter: length half a page to one page, in German or English
2. Application and upload of documents in the TUM online application portal
- After the final course selection in the ATHENS portal, register in the TUM online application portal with your TUM e-mail address, e.g. email@example.com.
Please do not use your TUM user ID here, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Complete the form Application for ATHENS
- Upload signed documents at item 1
The selection for a spot in one of the courses is done by the ATHENS headquarters in Paris on the basis of your application. The notification of acceptances/rejections is published on the ATHENS portal at the end of September.
Prior to ATHENS Week, there will be an online pre-departure meeting where important questions can be clarified before you leave. All accepted students will receive an invitation to this meeting via email.
Students accepted for BIP courses must meet additional requirements to receive the scholarship:
- Registration as a BIP participant in the TUM online application portal
- Submit Grant Agreement (original document)
- Submit Online Learning Agreement
You will receive more detailed information from the TUM BIP Program Manager via email.
It is possible to apply for a scholarship for the BIP courses. Information on grant rates (Förderraten für blended short-term mobilities; only available in German)
- Your application is binding. Apply only if you are sure you can participate in the ATHENS Week
- Clarify in advance whether an absence from TUM for the relevant period is possible for you
- Check in advance for any incurred costs. You will find helpful information on the ATHENS website
- Participation in all program components of the partner university (subject course and European Dimension Program) is mandatory
- When planning your trip, make sure to be at the partner university for the kick-off event
- Please note the cancellation deadlines when using the "Housing Option": In case of cancellation – even for unforeseeable reasons – you have to cover the incurred cancellation costs yourself
- TUM cannot cover any costs in case of an unforeseen cancellation of ATHENS Week. We therefore recommend that you purchase rebookable tickets
To-dos after return
After completing the ATHENS Week, your stay abroad will be imprinted in the Diploma Supplement. The prerequisite for this is the submission of the certificates or documents mentioned below. You will receive information on the exact procedure from the ATHENS or BIP coordinators.
- Successful participation in the subject course and the European Dimension Program
- Experience report (2-4 pages)
You can find reports on the experiences of other ATHENS participants in our online database
These courses are assessed with 2 ECTS at TUM. Check in advance with the responsible examination office or the subject coordinators of your department whether credit is possible in your field of study.
- Confirmation of Stay
- Transcript of Records
- Experience report (2-4 pages)
- EU Survey for the European Commission
These courses are assessed with at least 3 ECTS at TUM. Check in advance with the responsible examination office or the subject coordinators of your department whether credit is possible in your field of study.