Information on enrollment as a Practical Project Student at TUM

Students who are matriculated at a university abroad and want to work on a research project at TUM during their Bachelor's or Master's studies can be enrolled as Practical Project Students for one to three semesters. However, it is not mandatory to be enrolled at TUM; working on a research project at a TUM chair is also possible without matriculation.

What are the requirements for enrollment? How do I prepare for my stay after receiving my admission? What do I have to do once I have arrived – and what before I leave? Can I do an internship without enrolling? We have answers to all these questions.  

Requirements for enrollment as a Practical Project Student

  • Application within the given deadline
  • You must be enrolled in the Bachelor's or Master's program at your home university during your entire stay at TUM. PhD students please contact the TUM Graduate School directly
  • Endorsement from a supervisor at your home university is required. Your home university does not need to be a TUM partner university. 
  • The collaboration on a research project or the writing of the thesis must take place at TUM. It cannot take place at an external institution or company.
  • A minimum stay of two months for research projects or writing a thesis at TUM is required.
  • The search for a TUM supervisor has to be done on your own initiative, unfortunately TUM G&A cannot assist you. For this purpose, please contact the TUM Schools directly.
  • Only after confirmation of supervision by a TUM supervisor is it possible to apply for enrollment for a research stay.

Please note

  • No regular courses may be taken at TUM. German courses are the exception. 
  • You cannot receive ECTS for your stay at TUM.
  • Enrolled students will receive a certificate of participation from their TUM supervisor (not from TUM G&A) at the end of their stay.
  • The semester fee is to be paid for each semester.
  • Accommodation in a dormitory of the Munich Student Union is not possible.
  • The program language is determined in advance in consultation with the TUM supervisor.
  • The purchase of or an exemption from a German statutory health insurance is mandatory.

Benefits of enrollment

  • Visa for study purposes can be applied for, easier visa application process (visa application only after receipt of TUM admission letter)
  • Framework for stay at TUM is regulated, no need to sign an additional user agreement. Without enrollment, your supervisor must clarify your personnel law status individually. Unfortunately, the TUM G&A cannot be of assistance here. 
  • Accident insurance on TUM grounds and during TUM related business travels.
  • Receipt of TUM Student Card which includes some benefits, e.g. TUM Student ID, discounted meals in canteens and caféterias and eligibilty of using the university library. In addition, enrolled students can purchase the reduced "Deutschlandticket" (for students) which is valid as of October 1, 2023. 

How to apply

If you would like to enroll at TUM for a research stay, we require all the documents listed below from you. You can find corresponding templates under Downloads and Safety information.

  • Online application form Incoming Practical Project Student 
  • Transcript of records
  • Confirmation of supervision from a TUM chair with signature and stamp
  • Endorsement of your home university with signature and stamp (alternatively: confirmation of the organization in your home country that supports the Practical Project, e.g. Fulbright)
  • Declaration of mandatory and recommended insurances
  • CV in German or English
  • Passport photo
  • Copy of passport / identity card (if available)

Please send the online form and all other documents, combined into one PDF file, by e-mail to the coordinator of the TUM Global & Alumni Office.

Please note our application deadlines. Only complete applications received by the deadline will be processed by the TUM Global & Alumni Office and forwarded to the Admissions Office. Unfortunately, applications received after the deadline cannot be considered. After acceptance at TUM, the admission letter for exchange students will be sent to you along with other important information.

Important to-dos

Accommodation search tips for international Practical Project Students

Are you coming to TUM to study within the framework of Erasmus+ or to gain practical experience at a TUM research institution and still need to find accommodation for your stay in Munich or Garching? Then this video is for you.