Preparing for your stay at TUM: To dos after admission

1. Clarify entry requirements and apply for visa (if applicable)

may enter Germany without a visa. Please find detailed information on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.

Students without an EU/EFTA citizenship must apply for a residence permit (as soon as possible!) after entering Germany. (Since this can take very long, consider whether entering on a visa may be more appropriate for you, especially if you plan to travel a lot during your exchange stay.)

either need to apply for a visa themselves, or obtain a confirmation of the German BAMF, which is provided by TUM. This is a EU directive. If you already have a permit related to this Directive 2016/801/EU, you can ignore the following part and enter Germany with this permit. Please check with your home university about this requirement.

Please contact the German Embassy in your country of study as soon as you begin to think about applying for an exchange at TUM, in order to determine if you need to apply for a visa or if TUM needs to apply for the BAMF confirmation.

  • Visa application is necessary? Please follow the instructions from the local German Embassy.
  • BAMF confirmation is necessary? Please follow the instructions you will receive from TUM G&A Office. 

Important advance information for students who need a BAMF confirmation
In order to apply for a BAMF confirmation, TUM needs several documents, among others: a valid residence permit for the purpose of studying (no long term, short term, family visas, etc.) in your country of study, a valid passport, health insurance for Germany, and proof of ability to pay living costs (at least 934€). All documents must be issued in German or English.

  • Check that these documents are valid as soon as you begin to think of applying for an exchange at TUM. Please also determine if you can afford living costs (scholarship, sponsor, blocked account statement, declaration of the earning capacity and financial circumstances of your parents and their commitment, educational loan). They must all be valid for the entire time you are at TUM.
  • Should they expire before, immediately apply for new ones in advance of applying for your stay. Only with a new permit or passport (confirmation that you have applied for a new passport etc. will not be accepted), valid for the time you are at TUM, can we apply for your BAMF confirmation.
  • As new documents BAMF only accepts final documents! Confirmations, that you applied for / ordered a new residence permit / passport / EHIC, etc. are NOT accepted! Only copies of the final new issues documents are accepted!
  • Applying for a new ID can take a couple of months. In some countries, you can only apply for a new passport after the old one expires. E.g. if it expires in September, you can only apply for a new one in September and will receive the new one in November or December. Only then can TUM apply for the BAMF confirmation, which you would receive in January, as the entire BAMF process can take six or more weeks. However, winter semester begins in October and courses end no later than mid-February.
  • Please consider application processing time when planning your exchange. Without the BAMF confirmation, you will not have legal permission to enter Germany for studying and will not be allowed to start studying at TUM.
  • It is the responsibility of each student to obtain all necessary documents for the BAMF confirmation from TUM Global & Alumni Office. We will do our best to inform students about the status of their application and any necessary steps in mid-July for the winter term and mid-December for the summer term. If you do not receive the information by e-mail, please contact us immediately.
  • For general questions, please check with your home university first. The EU directive mentioned above requires that your home university be kept up to date. 

require a visa from the diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany in their home country to enter Germany. Such a visa must be applied for at least two months in advance because students need the letter of admission from TUM, which you will receive via e-mail in July (for the winter semester) or in December (for the summer semester). 

No study stay on a tourist visa

Please do not enter Germany on a tourist visa because it cannot be changed later to a visa for study purposes and you will have to return to your home country. Please obtain information from the German diplomatic mission in your home country with regard to the documents you require. Always state the exact purpose of your stay (e.g. exchange program), to receive the correct visa, as after your arrival in Germany it cannot be changed.  

Important: Please do not purchase your flight ticket until you are sure that you have been accepted to study at TUM and that your visa application is successful, which will include the valid dates for your visa. Please be aware that TUM is unable to expedite your visa procedure in Munich.

2. Enroll at TUM

In order to enroll as an exchange student at TUM, the steps listed in the admission letter must be completed:

Receive the notification of admission for the winter semester starting in July; for the summer semester starting in December. The notification contains all further information and deadlines. 

3. Obtain health insurance

In Germany, all students are obliged to have health insurance, i.e. one must prove sufficient health insurance coverage in order to be allowed to enroll at a German school of higher education. Enrollment is only possible after receipt of the proof of coverage. Presentation of an insurance policy from the home country (in the form of a plastic card or an insurance policy) is not sufficient for enrollment; likewise, a travel insurance policy will not be accepted. After you have received the TUM admission letter, please arrange your health insurance for enrollment as described below:

  1. Please wait for your TUM registration number (“Matrikelnummer”). You will receive it approximately by January (for the summer semester) or by August (for the winter semester).
  2. Make a copy of your insurance card, scan it and send it via e-mail to one of the statutory health insurance companies (addresses see below).
  3. The insurance company will check the copy of your insurance card. 
  4. If everything is fine and accepted for enrollment at TUM, the insurance company will send you an e-mail or letter confirming that everything is ok and that the insurance company will forward your data directly to TUM for enrollment. This service is free.

If you need to see a doctor, please present your EHIC / own insurance. The doctor will invoice any treatment costs directly to the health insurance company if the treatment is covered. Please ask the doctor directly if the treatment is covered.


  • If you live in a country with which Germany has a social security agreement (= successor states of the former Yugoslavia, Switzerland, Tunisia, and Turkey): Please send a copy of your insurance policy to one of the German national health insurance companies. Simply follow the description for EU/EWR citizens and replace the EHIC with your own insurance. 
  • Travel insurance policies will not be accepted.
  • With regard to other insurance in your home country, please note that practically no international health insurance policies are recognized in Germany for enrollment at an institute of higher education, as the level of coverage is too low.

If you want to discuss an exemption from mandatory health insurance – even though chances of success are very low: Please contact one of the statutory health insurance companies in order to clarify this. If the insurance from your home country cannot be accepted for enrollment – which is usually the case –, you need to obtain a statutory health insurance in Germany (see Students who are not insured in their home country).

Should you receive an exemption, it will be valid for the entire duration of the studies – and sometimes beyond – and cannot be revoked. As in the majority of cases the insurance coverage granted in the home country will not be the same as in Germany, an exemption can be disadvantageous. The application for exemption has to be made with one of the statutory health insurance companies at the place of residence/studies. An officially certified translation of the insurance policy issued in the home country must be submitted to the statutory insurance company.

If you receive an exemption, you will not be insured by a German health insurance company, which means that you will initially have to pay all the costs incurred in case of illness – which can be very expensive. Therefore, you have to prove to the Foreigners’ Office that the health insurance company in your home country will reimburse you or accept 100% of the medical service rates charged, which is seldom the case. Otherwise, it is possible that your visa will not be issued.

must obtain insurance from a statutory health insurance company of their choice in Germany.

  1. Please wait for your TUM registration number (“Matrikelnummer”). You will receive it approximately by January (for the summer semester) or by August (for the winter semester).
  2. Arrange a health insurance with a German national health insurance company. You can find online forms for this on the health insurance companies’ websites (addresses see below).
  3. If everything is fine and accepted for enrollment at TUM, the insurance company will send you an e-mail or letter confirming that everything is okay and that the company will forward your data directly to TUM for enrollment.

In case you need an official proof of insurance coverage in Germany (e.g. for your visa application, the residence permit, etc.), please directly discuss this with the insurance company, as TUM does not get or issue these confirmations! 

Costs: The monthly student tariff is currently €110.  The contributions to national German health insurance companies are the same everywhere. However, it is worth comparing the payment options and the insurance coverage.

If you need to see a doctor, please present your German insurance card. The doctor will invoice any treatment costs directly to the health insurance company if the treatment is covered. Please ask the doctor directly in advance if the treatment is covered.

Exceptions from the mandatory health insurance policy

Students who have reached the age of 30, are not obliged to have health insurance to enrol at TUM. However, according to the German law, you have to be insured during your time in Germany. There are special regulations for several EU countries, so it may be best to contact one of the statutory insurance companies.

General information about health insurance in Germany

You can find the addresses of health insurance companies in the Yellow Pages and online. It is up to you which insurance company you choose. A selection of statutory health insurance companies who offer TUM students a personal advisor, are listed below:


Contact in Munich    
Michael Burghardt

Landsberger Str. 150 – 152, 80339 Munich, room A015

Tel.: 089 – 089 – 5444 1979

Contact in Freising


Claudia Hoffmann 

Wippenhauser Str. 6, 85354 Freising

Tel.: 08161 – 182 182




AOK website for international students

  Application for confirmation of health insurance  




Contact in Munich and Freising    
Robert Auzinger

Grillparzerstr. 14, 81675 München 

Tel.: +49 89 375089701


Barmer website  / Guideline Barmer "Your perfect start"




DAK Gesundheit

Munich Center – Student-Office  
Laura Korb

Nymphenburger Str. 13, 80335 Munich

Tel., Mobil: 0160 97905017

Consultation hours by arrangement



DAK website     Online application  

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)

Contact in Munich    
Stefanie Behnke

Elisenstr. 3, 80335 Munich

Tel.: 040 – 4606 5104-713

Consultation hours by arrangement

Contact in Garching    

Alexander Vicari

Tel.: 040 – 4606 5104-715

Consultation hours by arrangement

  TK website for students  

4. Transfer the semester fee on time

With your letter of admission you will receive important information regarding your enrollment at TUM, such as instructions about how and when to transfer the semester fee. (For further information regarding the exact semester fee please see on this website below: Calculate your cost of living / Costs per semester).

Please note: Your enrollment at TUM only becomes valid once the semester fee has been transferred on time and evidence of a German statutory health insurance policy has been submitted. 

5. Optional: additional insurance coverage

At TUM, enrolled students have an accident insurance and journey to/from the university accident insurance (page only available in German). 

We highly recommend that you also take out additional private accident insurance for your free time activities (activities outside of the university). It is up to you whether you take out an insurance and which provider you choose.

In addition to the health insurance you need to enroll as a student, it is extremely advisable to also get liability insurance. You may need it in case you e.g. accidently break a piece of furniture in a rented room or cause a car accident as a pedestrian. Since in Germany anybody who injures a person or damages someone’s property is held liable, you would have to pay the damages yourself. 

If you work at TUM, e.g. do an internship, please contact your supervisor to receive the information which insurance is necessary at the workplace. This information cannot be given by the TUM Global & Alumni Office, as it depends on the workplace. 

6. Calculate your cost of living

Living in Munich is expensive. According to recent calculations, at least €1,200 per month (incl. rent, leisure time activities not included) is needed to live in the Bavarian state capital, though you only have to provide evidence of €934 to the Foreigners' Office. The aforementioned monthly amount has to be guaranteed for the entire study duration.

Costs you have to expect when living in Munich:

  • Residence permit for EU citizens
    - First issue: free of charge
    - Extension: free of charge
  • Residence permit for all others
    - First issue: 110 EUR
    - Extension: 80 EUR

  • Health insurance
    - EU citizens and countries with which Germany has a social security agreement: free of charge
    - All others: around € 120
  • Rent
    - Public dormitories of the Munich Student Union: ca. € 300 - 400
    - Private housing market: ca. € 600 - 1.000

  • Food 
    ca. € 300 

  • License fee for public broadcasting
    € 18,36

  • Public transportation / optional "Deutschlandticket" (Germany-Ticket)
    For whole Germany the Deutschlandticket is available. This is an optional online ticket which is valid in whole Germany for using public transportation and regional trains. For other tickets see "Costs per semester" as well.

Semester fee
For enrollment at TUM, all students (including exchange students) need to pay the semester fee (which is no tuition fee):
Students of campus Munich, Garching and Weihenstephan
Students of campus Straubing
Students of campus Heilbronn


Public transportation (see "Monthly costs" for the Deutschlandticket )

7. Financing of your stay abroad

Unfortunately, it is rather difficult for exchange students to obtain a scholarship in Germany. Most German scholarships (including those offered by TUM) are for full-time students.

You can nevertheless ask your home university if there are scholarships available or if they have any tips regarding funding. Looking at the DAAD scholarship database can also be helpful, but you will need to filter well and check the requirements for the different scholarship programs.

If you come to TUM through the Erasmus+ program, you will receive an Erasmus+ scholarship from your home university. Please note that this scholarship is paid by the home university - TUM is not in charge of this.

Information on the extent to which foreign students are allowed to work alongside their studies and where to find a job is listed under "Find a part-time job".

8. Register for courses after being informed to do so

Please note that, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee you will get a place in the courses that you have listed in your study plan / learning agreement when you applied to TUM. So even though you have been accepted, you will not be automatically registered for these courses at TUM and have to register for courses yourself. You will receive further information about the registration process in an e-mail from us. 

9. Organize your trip to Germany

Arrange your journey to TUM well in advance and also keep in mind that travel involves unavoidable CO2 emissions. By acting in an environmentally conscious way, your personal carbon consumption can be reduced. On our Thinking green! info page, we give you tips on how to keep your carbon footprint as low as possible and are also happy to share pictures of your experiences with green means of travel.

10. Get to know the university

Besides the main campus in Munich, TUM also has campuses in Garching, Freising, Straubing, and Heilbronn. They are home to the schools and the university's research facilities.

11. Seek accommodation

TUM receives a limited number of dormitory offerings for TUMexchange students. For participants in other programs such as Erasmus+, we gladly assist them in their search on the private market.