Moving to a new city and a foreign country involves many formalities. The Welcome Services team of the TUM Global and Alumni Office guides international researchers through the administrative process of the relocation to Munich and helps you get settled at TUM.
Before your stay
- Clarify funding and research details with your future host at TUM.
- Our checklist for researchers in employment at TUM (PDF, 599 KB) or else our checklist for researchers without a TUM employment contract (PDF, 574 KB) will help you prepare for your relocation. You will find important information on visa, residence titles, health insurance, pension, TUM facilities and much more.
- If you would like to make use of our welcome services for international researchers and clear up uncertainties related to your relocation and onboarding at TUM, please register online and use the form Registration – International Researcher.
- With your registration, we will forward your details to the TUM Accommodation Service that will support you in finding suitable housing.
- Let us know if you plan to bring your family and we will forward this information to the TUM Kids, Family and Elder Care Center for further guidance and advice.
After your arrival
Sign up for our Welcome Services mailings to stay updated on our event offerings and at TUM.
Join us for our Cultural Program events to explore Bavaria and meet other TUM researchers and their families.
Our Spouse & Partner Guide (PDF, 1.34 MB) will inform accompanying partners about everyday life in Munich as well as career perspectives, and invites furthermore to join our Slack channel: Here we post about useful information and events for accompanying partners and give them an opportunity to network.
TUM is a founding member of the International Dual Career Network Munich. The platform addresses accompanying partners of TUM's international researchers and offers them the opportunity to make their talents and abilities visible and to actively promote the development of a professional network.
The Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts published a website for Research in Bavaria, a guide to career, research and funding opportunities in Germany’s largest federal state.
Before you leave
- Start preparing your departure at least three months before you intend to leave Germany. You will find important information on this in our before-you-leave checklist (PDF, 249 KB).
- Contact the Welcome Services team if you need support.
- Checklist for researchers in employment at TUM (PDF, 599 KB)
- Checklist for researchers without TUM employment contract (PDF, 574 KB)
- Further downloads and information for researchers in employment at TUM
- Further downloads and information for researchers without TUM employment contract
- Welcome Services Flyer (PDF, 2 MB)
- Cultural Program for International Researchers (PDF, 655 KB)