Other international exchange programs

In addition to the exchange programs coordinated by the TUM Global & Alumni Office and the Schools, there are other opportunities for a study stay at TUM. Depending on your home country, further options are available to study at TUM for up to three semesters via exchange programs such as Global E3, Fulbright, and KOSPIE. 

How it works

  • Express interest in going to TUM at your home university, which must have a partnership agreement with TUM.
  • The universities select candidates and e-nominate them for the relevant program. Following partner universities receive an acknowledge e-mail as soon as TUM can accept the nomination.
  • If you are nominated and received all information from TUM via e-mail regarding the application process, you can apply directly at TUM within our application deadlines.
  • The representatives of your TUM school will verify your application documents and decide on acceptance.
  • In the final step, you will receive your acceptance letter from the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
    The time frame for the nofication depends on which semester you will spend / start at TUM: in December for the summer term, in July for the winter term.

Prerequisites for attending

  • Your home university must have a partnership agreement with us.
  • Your home university must nominate you for a stay at TUM.
  • You must remain enrolled at your home university while you are on exchange at TUM.

Application procedure

Please get in touch with the International Center of your home university to find out about the application process applicable at your institution.

At TUM, the Schools are responsible for academic issues. In addition, some topics also depend on the School at which you will be studying. So if you are looking for information on the questions listed below, please refer to your respective School:

  • Do I need to search for courses or modules? How can I find courses offered in English?
  • Which courses or modules can I study at TUM in order to enter them in my study program for my application?
  • When will my (Online) Learning Agreement (for Erasmus+) / study plan be signed? Whom do I need to enter as "responsible person"? Who will sign it?
  • How to understand the 60:40 rule of the TUM courses / modules?
  • Can I write a thesis in the TUM School?
  • Once I have been accepted, how and when can I register for courses / modules at TUM? 
  • Who signs my Confirmation of Stay (for Erasmus+) or other documents?
  • How do I receive my transcript at the end of the semester?

Incoming websites of all TUM School at a glance

TUM School of Computation, Information and Technology (CIT)

TUM School of Engineering and Design (ED)

  • Aerospace and Geodesy
  • Architecture
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Engineering Science (former Munich School of Engineering)

TUM School of Life Sciences (LS, Weihenstephan) 

  • Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences
  • Biosciences
  • Brewing and Food Technology
  • Nurtritional Sciences & Food Chemistry
  • Forest Science and Resource Management
  • Landscape Architecture and Planning

TUM School of Management (MGT) 

TUM School of Natural Sciences (NAT)

TUM School of Social Sciences and Technology (SOT)

TUM Campus for Biotechnology and Sustainability (CS, Straubing)

Once you are nominated for a stay at TUM by your home university and received all information from TUM via e-mail regarding the application process, you must apply to TUM during one of the application periods. The process is as follows:

  • Register on the online application portal first.
    Please note: Our online application is optimized for Firefox 5 or higher as well as for Google Chrome. Make sure to use only one of these browsers!
  • Fill in the form Application for incoming students completely and upload all necessary documents.
    Please note: Your TUM admission letter as well as all information e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address you use in the online form. Therefore, please make sure to check your inbox and spam folder on a regular basis, so you do not miss any deadlines or other important information.

Required documents

Please fill in all required forms in the language in which you intend to study at TUM. All documents need to be written in German or English! If necessary, please translate them and have the translated versions certified and stamped by your home university.

The following documents must be uploaded to the online application portal:


  • One page, tabular, German or English: Summary of a your career, qualifications, education, special  skills, language knowledge, personal interests, personal data

Motivation letter

  • German or English, maximum two pages
  • Describe your academic and personal goals

Language certificates

All TUM Schools will request a certificate verifying your current German and/or English skills:

  • If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in English: Verification of your English skills
  • If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in German: Verification of your German skills
  • If you are planning to attend courses at TUM  in German and English: Verification of your German and English skills

In most cases, the required level is at least B1 or B2, this depends on your TUM School. Please check the webpage of your TUM School, which you can find under Information on courses or modules, exams, the study plan at TUM or (online) Learning Agreement and other academic matters at TUM.

  • The certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school. Official test are also accepted (but this is no must, as a confirmation of the home university is fine as well). Nativ speakers do not need a language certificate if studying at TUM in the language of their mother tongue. Self-assessment tests without signature of the home university cannot be accepted.

Transcript of records

  • An itemized academic performance to date is required. If you are a master's student, please also include your transcript from the bachelor's degree.

Overview of current courses at home university

  • You need to submit a document listing the courses you are enrolled in during the current semester, which are not listed on your transcriptt (please use the template under Downloads)

Study plan at TUM

  • A preliminary list of courses or modules you want to attend at TUM, German or English, typed

For specific information regarding courses or modules, examinations, etc., please first check the webpage of your TUM School, which you can find under Information on courses or modules, exams, the study plan at TUM and other academic matters at TUM.

While preparing for your stay at TUM before you take a look at the academic offer of TUM, first check on the website of your TUM School regarding the possible offers in that specific School (e.g. if you can choose courses or modules) and where to find them. 

 Please note:

  • At least 60% of the courses or modules you register for must be offered by the study area you will be enrolled in at TUM. (In case you receive another information from your TUM School, please follow the information given by the School.)
  • It is a preliminary list. Later changes (also after arrival) are possible and even likely.
  • This document does not to need to be signed by students / home university / TUM at the time of your application at TUM. Signatures of TUM are at earliest given after your acceptance at TUM (from July for winter term / from December for summer term).
  • As study plan TUM accepts any kind of document.
  • For questions regarding the recognition of the courses you wish to take at TUM, please contact your home university.


Photocopy of passport / ID

  • If applicable


  • Within the application form, in the 'Further information' area, you will find a section about accommodation, where you can tell us whether you are interested in the service package offered by the Munich Student Union.


Submit your application

Once you have uploaded and submitted all documents, you will receive your online application form in PDF format. Submit this application following the instructions on the portal.

Please note: Only complete applications, which include all required documents can be processed and forwarded to the Admissions and Enrollment Office by the specified deadline.
If any documents are missing, we will notify you by mail, but will suspend the processing of your application during the application period until all documents have been submitted. Late submissions cannot be processed.