Offerings for students with special needs or fewer opportunities

The Technical University of Munich cultivates a university culture of appreciation, openness, and diversity. On this website, we offer information for all exchange students who come to TUM, e.g. via Erasmus or TUMexchange, and have special needs, including a disability, chronic illness, or learning disorder – or if you want to bring children with you. Find out more about your direct contacts, accessibility at TUM, special services, and possible adaptations for your exams here.

Students with disabilities & chronic illnesses

Contact & Advice

Central advising point of TUM

The advising point "Studying with special needs" at TUM Center for Study and Teaching helps with all questions and problems related to studying with a handicap or chronic illness.

Contact persons at the Schools

Each School has contact persons who are responsible for the academic affairs of students with disabilities and chronic illnesses.

If you have an impairment and require assistance for your studies at TUM, please note this in the "Special Needs" section of the online TUM exchange application form.

If your home university provides you with compensation, please mention that as well.


Most buildings and rooms at TUM have barrier-free access. If you have a course in a room that is difficult to access, you can usually arrange a room change with the lecturer. Unfortunately, TUM cannot provide accessible transportation around campus.

The Wheelmap app shows you all barrier-free access points at and around the TUM, but also in general in Munich, Garching, Freising, Straubing, and Heilbronn. It also allows you to mark public places yourself, such as bars, restaurants, cinemas, etc.

TUM wants to enable hearing-impaired and blind students to study without barriers. Students can therefore make use of a suitable infrastructure and, in certain cases, apply for additional aids.

In public transport

The Münchner Verkehrsverbund (MVV) wants to make it as easy as possible for passengers with limited mobility to use the public transport options subway, bus, and streetcar.
The means of transport of the Münchner Verkehrsgesellschaft: Accessibility

In the Munich transport network, subways, buses, and almost all streetcars are barrier-free. All subway stations have elevators or ramps. Buses are equipped with ramps and 90 percent of streetcar stops are step-free. The availability of elevators and escalators can be checked in real time.

The Straubing and Heilbronn sites also offer barrier-free public transportation.

Further information on accessibility around TUM

Do you require a specific treatment or medication? Before entering Germany, please inquire whether the treatment prescribed in your home country is covered by your German insurance and whether the required medication is available here.

TUM does not have an in-house medical service. However, you will find a comprehensive medical infrastructure around all TUM locations. If you have any questions, please contact the coordinator for international affairs of your School directly.

Study conditions

TUM takes a needs-based approach to finding special arrangements on an individual level. Feel free to contact us.

For instance, blind students can receive documents in Braille or as enlarged copies. To obtain an audio recording of the lecture, students should contact the relevant lecturer or the examination board directly. Some rooms are equipped with inductive listening systems. 

Unfortunately, the Technical University of Munich cannot provide support assistants for students with disabilities.  



Students with special needs can request special arrangements for their examinations from the examination committee of the respective TUM School.

Please note, however, that exchange students should always first contact the international affairs coordinator of the respective School if they need help.

Students are usually required to present a German Schwerbehindertenausweis, i.e. severely handicapped ID card. Since the issuance is not possible for exchange students due to the lengthy procedure, for exchange students a medical certificate in English is usually sufficient. The certificate must describe the disability and certify that it affects your studies and has lasted longer than six months.

If your home university grants you compensation, please have this confirmed in English and submit the document to TUM.

More information on adjustments at TUM

The Munich Student Union is a public institution responsible for the economic and social support of students at state universities.

Through the advisory network of the Munich Student Union, students with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses can receive help on all issues related to studying with impairments. The Student Union also offers a psychotherapeutic and psychosocial counselling service.

Students with children

Contact & Advice

TUM Family Service

The TUM Family Service is your first point of contact for all questions regarding family and studies. Here you can learn more about childcare options, family-friendly facilities at TUM, and get useful tips on balancing family and studies as well as networking with other student parents. In addition, the TUM Family Service provides advice on contact persons at all TUM Schools as well as the corresponding central offices.

Further information

If you have children and need support for your studies at TUM, please note this in the "Special Needs" section of the online application form for an exchange at TUM.

Family rooms, breastfeeding and diaper-changing facilities, and high chairs are available at all TUM campuses. Find out here about what is available on your campus

Information about accessibility at TUM

The Munich Student Union is a public institution responsible for the economic and social support of students at state universities.

Students who are already parents or will soon be can contact the Student Union's advisory service Studieren mit Kind (Studying with children). They help with finding suitable family accommodation, allocate places in their childcare facilities, and provide information about financial support options, including various grants and scholarships.

Through the advisory network of the Munich Student Union, pregnant women and students with children can receive help with all questions regarding their changed life situation and the organization of their daily study routine.

General service offers

TUM G&A's International Campus Life team offers initial assistance at the beginning of your studies in Munich as well as an extensive cultural program during the semester. The events will help you to get to know Munich and also to make friends. In addition to the activities organized by the International Campus Life team, there are also offers from the student organization ESN TUMi Munich. All activities are open to all students, of course, and are very inclusive. Students with special needs are very welcome at these activities.

Additional support is provided by the buddy programs of the respective TUM Schools.

If you study at a European partner university and come to TUM through the Erasmus+ program, your home university may be able to support a preparatory visit in order to better prepare your stay abroad. Please discuss this possibility directly with the International Office of your home university.

Once you have arranged a preparatory visit with your home university, please contact the TUM Global & Alumni Office

TUM does not have on-campus housing. The Munich Student Union provides the TUM Global & Alumni Office with a limited number of dormitory places, which are primarily reserved for participants of the TUMexchange program and for students with special needs. Please state the relevant information in the "Accommodation" section when filling out the online application form for the exchange at TUM.

Please do not contact the Munich Student Union directly, as housing is assigned through the TUM G&A Office
More on the service packages of the Student Union and the accommodation placement via the TUM G&A

If your TUM School offers a buddy program, please ask your buddy to help you. You may also turn to the Student Association ESN TUMi. If you do not know or find any fellow student who could support you, you may turn to your exchange coordinator at the Global & Alumni Office.