In the framework of the Practical Research Experience Program (TUM PREP), TUM invites each summer excellent students from select North American universities to spend an at least 10-week long research stay at TUM. Participating students gain valuable insights into the research work at Germany’s top-ranked technical university and enhance their technical and methodological qualifications.
Together with TUM scientists, PREP students work in small research teams at different TUM chairs on a previously defined research project. Through individual support, buddies and a variety of PREP events, the participants will be well integrated at TUM and in Munich in a short time. The language of the PREP program is English, and German language skills are not required for the participation.
Would you too like to attract talented students from renowned North American universities to participate in your research project at TUM?
All TUM departments are again most welcome to submit their projects for TUM PREP 2020 (May 26 - August 13, 2020) until August 30, 2019.
To register your research project, simply fill in this online form: TUM PREP Project Submission.
|Application period||October 1 – November 29, 2019 (3 pm, CET)|
|Kick-off event||May 26, 2020|
|Orientation week||May 27 – June 1, 2020|
|Research projects (minimum duration)||June 2 – August 13, 2020*|
|Closing event||August 13, 2020|
* In most cases, an extension of the project duration (earlier project start, later project end) is possible in consultation with the TUM PREP supervisor.
The projects for TUM PREP are offered by various university chairs and are therefore diverse. For example: Towards Full Genome Phylogeny, Molecular Magnetic Resonance Imaging or Mental Well-Being of Athletes. Get an overview of the current project offers here.
TUM PREP applicants must be enrolled at one of the following institutions at the time of their application and during their participation in TUM PREP:
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- Université de Montréal
- University of Alberta
- University of British Columbia
- University of Toronto
- Brown University
- California Institute of Technology
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Duke University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Michigan State University
- New York University
- Northwestern University
- Princeton University
- Purdue University
- Rutgers. The State University of New Jersey
- Stanford University
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Los Angeles
- UC San Diego
- UC San Francisco
- UC Santa Barbara
- University of Chicago
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- University of Maryland at College Park
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Washington
- University of Wisconsin Madison
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Yale University
- Bachelor or master students (at least 2 years of undergraduate studies completed when starting with the TUM PREP project)*
- GPA minimum: 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Compliance with required project-specific skills
Applicants are expected to get informed about recognition and credit transfer regulations at their home institutions, if they need academic credits for their research stay.
* PhD students are not eligible for TUM PREP. For support with regards to an organization of a research stay at TUM, please contact our TUM Graduate School.
TUM International Center will provide the following services to program participants:
- Scholarship: Students not otherwise supported during the time of their participation in TUM PREP will receive a scholarship (1,000.00 €, paid in two installments during their stay in Munich).
- Accommodation: TUM International Center will support students in the organisation of their accommodation (mostly reservation of dorm rooms).
- Certificate: TUM PREP participants will obtain a certificate with a written evaluation of their research work from their project supervisors.
- Credits (ECTS): TUM PREP participants may obtain ECTS credits, if needed. The rule is: 1 ECTS Credit ≙ 30 hours of student workload.
- Individual Support: The TUM PREP Program Manager will act as single point of contact for program participants.
- TUM PREP Buddies: Additionally, TUM PREP participants will be supported by student buddies.
- Kick-off Event: A special information and networking event for all program stakeholders will facilitate the start of the project phase.
- Orientation Week: During the first program week, various events and activities will be offered for the TUM PREP students: Munich city tour, German taster course, intercultural training, industry visits, networking events etc.
- Framework Program: TUM PREP offers a special framework program with activities and events designed for TUM PREP students only. Moreover, program participants can join the activities organized by TUMi, TUM's orientation and support program for international students.
- Closing Event: With research poster sessions and the issue of certificates, this event will be a well-rounded conclusion of the participants' time at TUM.
There are no fees for TUM PREP itself. Although individual figures may vary with regard to personal spending habits, TUM PREP participants should anticipate approximately the following total expenses for their three-month-stay in Munich:
General Expenses (totals for the entire stay)
|Accommodation (partly to pay before arrival)||up to 1,800 €|
|Living expenses||up to 1,500 €|
|German health insurance||ca. 470 €|
All students must obtain health coverage in Germany. In individual cases, an existing international health insurance may be accepted, if it has no upper limits for payments in the event of damage. In addition, it is highly recommended that students have sufficient liability insurance coverage.
One-time expenses (*to be paid before arrival)
|Enrollment Fee||ca. 130 €*|
|Semester ticket for public transportation (recommended)||ca. 200 €|
|Dorm Room Security Deposit (will be refunded)||ca. 500 €*|
|Travel Expenses (flight there and back)||ca. 600 - 1,000 €*|
|Visa Fees (if applicable)||ca. 60 - 100 €*|
US and Canadian citizens do not need a visa, if their stay in Germany does not exceed 90 days. See country overview for visa requirement on entry to Germany. Please do not travel with a tourist visa to Germany, as it cannot be transferred for study purposes.
Students should only apply online via the application form and the online submission of the required application documents in PDF format (see below). Students applying for a specific project can name another one as their second choice in the online portal.
Institutions pre-selecting and nominating students are:
- The University of Alberta (Contact: Ciara Murrin, International Internship Coordinator)
- The University of British Columbia (Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Laurinda Tracey, Advisor Research Abroad at the Go Global Office)
Selection of projects and placement of PREP applicants
Applications will be assessed in close cooperation with project supervisors. We always attempt to place TUM PREP applicants according to their priorities.
The selection of the TUM PREP applicants will be completed by the different TUM university chairs between mid-December and end of January. During this period, applicants and partner institutions will be informed about the outcome of their applications.
The following documents should be handed in online and in PDF format together with the application form (= online registration):
- Letter of Motivation (at least 1 letter each for project priorities 1 and 2)
- Transcript of Records*
- Letter of Recommendation*
- Confirmation of Insurance* (meaning students will take care of the necessary insurance coverage)
Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered.
*Templates and further information can be found under Downloads.