The TUM Global & Alumni Office and Erasmus+ give TUM employees the opportunity to pursue continued education and training in non-European countries. The “international dimension” of the program offers funding for stays at one of the participating partner universities worldwide.
Due to the current situation regarding the coronavirus disease Covid-19 and the virus SARS-CoV-2, we ask you to get in touch with us by e-mail only until further notice. We will try our best to perform our consulting services as smoothly as possible this way. Thank you very much for your cooperation!
Information platform of the EU Commission: How to plan your travels within the EU
The European Commission has launched the web platform Re-open EU to support a safe relaunch of travelling and tourism across Europe.
Are you interested in spending some time abroad to strengthen your skills and gain new perspectives by sharing professional experiences in another country? Erasmus+ International Dimension provides opportunities for you to continue your education or training at a university or company of your choice throughout Europe. You will receive a predetermined travel allowance to cover some of your travel expenses. Please note that the modalities may vary from country to country.
How it works
- Do not miss the call for applications
- Obtain general approval from your superior
- Contact one of the participating universities
- Submit your application in time
- Information about acceptance or refusal
- Submit your documents to the TUM G&A Office
TUM Global & Alumni Office publishes the call for applications every fall for the following 18 months. Application deadline is mid-January. Depending on whether funds are still available, another call is been published in spring. The application deadline here is at the mid of May.
- Employment relationship with the TUM or the Bavarian School of Public Policy
- The funding measure must be directly related to the work performed on the job
- It is necessary to comply with the regular procedures for business travel at the TUM (Travel Authorization prior to the start of the trip, processed Travel Expense Report afterwards)
- Mobility Agreement (content and goal of your trip, connection to the goals of the Erasmus+ program)
- Typical education programs (other types of programs eligible for funding upon request)
- Job shadowing
- Educational visits at partner universities
- Attend International Week/Staff Week/Partner Days
Important: Grants are not available for research visits abroad. It is possible to conduct research in combination with a teaching assignment abroad as part of.
Within the scope of the International Dimension of Erasmus+, funding is available at TUM for the following countries and universities. Please click on the country for more information about the country-specific goals and funding modalities.
Australian National University
University of Queensland
University of Sydney
American University of Cairo
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Duration of stay from at least five days. Depending on the budget it may be possible to fund stays of two weeks.
- The funding consists of an amount for individual support (activity days and usually two travel days) and support for travel expenses (according to EU regulations)
- Grant funds can only be paid once all required documents have been submitted.
- 70% of your total allowance is paid prior to the trip, 30% afterwards
- It is possible to finance your expenses in other ways (e.g. your own department). It is not possible to combine Erasmus+ grants with funds from other EU programs (e.g. Leonardo da Vinci).
Allowances for accommodations
- 160 euros per grant day, 112 euros from day 15
- from funding period 2018/19 on 180 euros, respectively 126 euros
Subsidies for severely disabled employees
- Additional funds possible above 50% level of disability – additional retroactive funding is not possible
- Application to the National Agency of the DAAD through the TUM G&A. Documents must be submitted at least three months prior to the start of the program (application available in the Downloads section)
Allowances for travel expenses
- Between 275 and 1,500 euros euros depending on the distance to the destination country
The TUM Global & Alumni Office is happy to assist you with any questions you have about continued education opportunities with Erasmus+. After the calls for proposals are published, the application process is essentially as follows:
1. Get general approval from your superior
- Find out whether there is general support for continued education or training and if he or she is willing to sign a corresponding travel authorization request.
2. Contact one of the participating universities
- If you already have a contact person at a partner university or if have found one after having searched on the partner’s website you can contact this person directly.
- If not, please contact the TUM Global & Alumni Office. We will be happy to help you.
- After having found an interested counterpart you can start elaborating the goals, the activities, and the timeframe of your visit.
3. Submit your application in time
- Fill out the application form and ask your partner to issue you a Letter of Invitation. This can also be an informal e-mail.
- Send both in time by e-mail. The completed application form must also be signed by your supervisor.
4. Information about acceptance or refusal
- The selection and nomination will be made by TUM G&A Office based on the submitted documents in consultation with the TUM Board of Management.
- Criteria of evaluation are accordance with the goals mentioned in the announcement, quality of project description/preparation and interconnection at TUM as well as sustainability of the project for TUM.
- About 6 weeks after the deadline you will receive a refusal or an acceptance e-mail.
- In case of a positive news, you will be also notified about the next steps.
5. Submit your documents to the Global & Alumni Office
In order to be able to transfer the Erasmus grant, we need some documents from you as well as your registration in the TUM portal for employees (see Things to do before your stay abroad).
To ensure that the first part of your grant is paid, it is necessary to submit the following documents:
1. Signed Grant Agreement
- After the exact period of the stay abroad has been determined, please report this to the TUM G&A Office.
- Afterwards, you will receive by in-house mail the Grant Agreement, which contains all information on the amount of the grant and the terms of your grant.
- This document must be signed and returned in original to the G&A Office prior to departure.
2. Completed and signed Mobility Agreement
The Mobility Agreement normally needs to be signed by four parties:
- Superior (Professors do not have to sign)
- Erasmus representative in your department (Central Administration employees do not need this signature)
- Host organization contact person
3. Authorization for travel
Please remember to submit your travel request early to the travel cost center.
4. Register on the TUM Portal
- You will register for your Erasmus+ continued education program using our TUM Portal online.
- Once you have submitted your information, you will receive your online application form in PDF format.
Important notes on registering on the TUM Portal
- Only use your TUM e-mail address to register on the TUM Portal.
- Please remember your password.
- Always use the same TUM e-mail address for all follow-up requirements or any other travel.
- Register on the TUM Portal by using the Registration - Erasmus+ Staff Mobility (STA/STT) - OUTGOING online form.
- In the Planned Stay Abroad menu, be sure to select Framework and then Erasmus STT outside of Europe.
It is necessary to submit the following documents to ensure that your grant is paid.
Confirmation of host organization
- Confirmation of Stay Have the responsible party at the host organization stamp and sign this document to confirm the end of your stay.
After your stay
- Processed Travel Expense Report Ask your corresponding travel expense office to process your original documents for your travel and accommodation costs along with your Travel Expense Reimbursement Claim. Once you have received your processed Travel Expense Report, be sure to submit it to the TUM G&A.
- EU Survey for the European Commission. You will automatically receive an e-mail containing your login details from an EU database. Once you receive this e-mail notification, you have 30 days to complete the EU survey.