Accommodation for Exchange Students

The TUM Global & Alumni Office receives a very limited number of dormitory offerings called Service Package from the Munich Student Union, which are reserved for the TUMexchange mobility program participants. Please understand that we are unable to provide dormitory rooms for students coming through other mobility programs as well as TUM internships, but we can assist your search on the private market.

Coronavirus: Information for students seeking advice on our programs

Due to the current situation regarding the coronavirus disease COVID-19 and the virus SARS-CoV-2, we ask you to get in touch with us by e-mail only until further notice. We will try our best to perform our consulting services as smoothly as possible this way. Thank you very much for your cooperation!

Student housing for TUMexchange participants

TUMexchange mobility program participants automatically receive a dormitory offering. These so-called Service Packages of the Munich Student Union are allocated by the TUM Global & Alumni Office. No change is possible.

  • Type of accommodation: Usually it is a single room (only for one person) in a larger apartment, where you share a bathroom and/or a kitchen with a number of other students (mixed-gender). We have no double rooms or family apartments at our disposal. Not all buildings have elevators.
  • Location: Travel time from the dormitories, which are spread all over the city, to the main campus or the Garching campus can take up to 40 minutes.
  • Monthly rent and refundable deposit: Rents range from 300 to 400 euro per month. You will have to pay a refundable deposit of up to 500 euro, which will be returned to you 4 months after the expiration of your rental agreement.


  Winter semester Summer semester
Information on rental offer Mid-July at the latest Mid-January at the latest
Length of lease one to max. two semesters one semester
Move-in date between october 1 and 9 between April 1 and 9
Move-out date March 31 (one semester) September 30
  September 30 (two semesters)  

Please note

  • Acceptance of the Service Package is binding. If you turn down our offer, you will receive no other accommodation from the TUM Global & Alumni.
  • Rental agreements are legally binding documents. Contracts with the Munich Student Union cannot be extended or terminated earlier.
  • This accommodation must not be rented for personal enrichment. Violations will lead to immediate termination of the rental agreement. It is possible to sublease the accommodation during the semester break, after consultation with the Munich Student Union.
  • The accommodations are only available during a specific period. Students who arrive prior to the official move-in date have to find their own accommodation for the period before the move-in date.

Confirmation & Moving in

Send your confirmation to the Munich Student Union in due form and time

  • After the TUM Global & Alumni Office has obtained your acceptance of the Service Package offer via email, you will receive a document called Acceptance of Accommodation from the Munich Student Union approximately six weeks before the official move-in date also via email.
  • The form contains the address and opening hours of the administration office, important information about dormitory keys as well as general information about the housing, rent, and deposit.
  • You have to sign and return it to the Munich Student Union in digital form before the deadline. By sending back the signed Acceptance of Accommodation letter, you commit yourself to renting and paying for the accommodation.

Information about the location of the accommodation

  • Please note that you will receive the address of your future accommodation only when you have signed the rental agreement. There is no possibility to send any luggage before your arrival in Munich.

Address for embassy documents

  • In case you need an address in Munich for embassy documents, please note that it will be handed in later. In the meantime, you can submit your TUM acceptance letter or the form Acceptance of Accommodation from the Munich Student Union.

Accommodation search tips for students participating in other exchange programs, e.g. Erasmus+, departmental partnerships, internships

For applications to mobility programs such as Erasmus+, departmental partnerships, internships, and others, the TUM Global & Alumni Office can primarily offer consultation for finding a private accommodation. These programs do not include the provision of dormitory offerings (= Service Package). Accordingly, there is neither an application procedure nor a waiting list. If there are free dormitory offerings left, they will be allocated according to internal procedures and concerned students will be contacted via email by the Global & Alumni Office.

Additionally, we have put together some important considerations and addresses for a successful accommodation search:

  • Start early: Accommodations in Munich are in high demand. We recommend you start two months before the beginning of each semester.
  • In-person meeting with a landlord: Come to Munich to visit rooms. It is impossible to find a room from abroad.
  • Be careful with private offers: Do not transfer any money for a security deposit or a rent before you have visited the apartment, signed the rental agreement, and have got the keys.

Information about liability insurance in Germany

We recommend that you take out liability insurance for your stay in Germany. If, for example, you damage a piece of furniture in your rented apartment or cause an accident as a pedestrian, you must pay for the damage incurred. Liability insurance covers the costs of justified claims and protects you from unjustified claims at the same time.

Where can you take out private liability insurance?

In your home country

  • Are you already insured for liability in your home country? Ask your provider whether the insurance is also valid in Germany.
  • If not: Ask your local insurance company whether you can take out insurance cover for Germany there.

In Germany

  • Some companies offer insurances for short stays, which you can take out online.
  • Potential insurers are e.g. Dr. Walter or Mawista. However, it is entirely up to you whether you take out an insurance policy and which provider you choose.

Accommodation offers from TUM students for international exchange students

If you wish to exchange or rent your room / apartment in Munich or Garching to an international exchange student during your semester abroad, please download this form for accommodation offers, fill it out and send it via email to Anna Kondratskaya.

Please consider the relevant deadlines:

  • Offers for winter semester by 1 July
  • Offers for summer semester the latest by 15 January

Your offers will be put online without contact details in July (for the winter semester) and in January (for the summer semester). Only international exchange students, interested in your offer, will receive the contact information via email from us and will write / call you directly. We kindly ask you to wait until the middle of July/ middle of January and give the exchange students a chance to contact you.

Regarding accommodation offers for Freising please write an email to the International Office at the Weihenstephan Science Center (WZW).