In late September 2015, TUM expanded its global network by opening a North America Office. The office is located in the heart of Downtown San Francisco at the German American Chamber of Commerce and is within walking distance to the Goethe-Institut and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
TUM provides top-class facilities for cutting-edge research and unique study opportunities. Therefore, TUM San Francisco’s mission is to promote TUM’s educational, scientific and technological excellence in North America by organizing webinars, networking events and presentations on selected research and innovation themes.
The office serves as a hub to connect scientists, researchers, entrepreneurs and other stakeholders to facilitate research cooperation and knowledge exchange, and it helps to intensify exchange relationships. With its proximity to the entrepreneurial culture of the Silicon Valley and renowned universities, such as Berkeley or Stanford, it informs on developments in science, technology, and education. In addition, TUM San Francisco maintains the relationship between TUM and its alumni across North America.
- Cultivating TUM’s partnerships in North America, e.g. by facilitating cooperation projects, advertising new programs and representing TUM at campus events
- Linking TUM researchers and staff to local stakeholders in support of their activities in the region
- Supporting TUM’s recruitment efforts in North America, e.g. by attending career fairs and organizing workshops for specific target groups (e.g. PostDocs)
- Knowledge-brokering: Monitoring and analyzing trends in higher education, research and industry, specifically in the San Francisco Bay area / Silicon Valley
- Supporting TUM delegations visiting the San Francisco Bay area / Silicon Valley
Despite the Covid-19 pandemic, entrepreneurs in the Bay Area are still hard at work creating innovative products and seeking funding. Investors and venture capitalists are still on the lookout for promising new startups.
After his Master studies at TUM, James Mister gained lots of practical experience in Munich. In 2016, he began working for the Bavarian Foreign Representation in San Francisco and has helped building bridges ever since.
Every year, the US Venture Program offers an intensive 10-day program to the best five TUM startups which includes various workshops and face2face pitch training in the unique ecosystem of the Silicon Valley. The participants will have the exclusive opportunity to meet successful entrepreneurs, visit companies and exchange experiences with mentors and experts. This unique event is jointly designed, organized and conducted by TUM San Francisco and TUM ForTe.