Chinese students and doctoral candidates form the largest group of international students at TUM. Given this potential and the growing importance of China in the fields of research and innovation, TUM established its first offshore representative office in Beijing in 2006.
The office in Beijing serves as a point of contact for partner universities, prospective students, doctoral candidates, as well as scientists from China and Taiwan, and represents TUM at fairs and information events. Regular alumni events, pre-departure webinars for TUM freshmen from China and the TUM-Weibo make the TUM community one of the most active in the world.
TUM Beijing is one of six liaison offices in addition to Brussels, Mumbai, Cairo, San Francisco and São Paulo. Already in 2002, TUM established its own offshore campus TUM Asia in Singapore. The expansion of a global presence is part of the initiative TUM Global, a core piece of TUM’s institutional strategy which was a part of its successful application within the German Excellence Initiative.
- Relationship management and networking with leading Chinese universities and institutions
- Participation in information events in China and Taiwan
- Academic advising and student recruitment, e.g. PhD matchmaking workshops & pre-departure webinars
- Activating TUM's alumni network, e.g. alumni talk show
- Analysis of the education market in China and Taiwan
- Weibo media support
- Support and hospitality for TUM staff during visits to China