Would you like to get to know your European neighbors and expand your professional, linguistic and intercultural skills? With the Erasmus+ program, the TUM enables about 1,000 students per year to spend an unforgettable stay abroad in 32 European countries. Take advantage of the benefits of Erasmus+ and gain valuable study experience abroad.
Due to the current situation regarding the coronavirus disease COVID-19 and the virus SARS-CoV-2, we ask you to get in touch with us by phone or e-mail only until further notice. All face-to-face services including the personal submission and collection of documents are currently suspended.
We will try our best to perform our consulting services as smoothly as possible this way. Thank you very much for your cooperation!
The Erasmus+ program provides financial support and there are no tuition fees at the partner university. The semester abroad will be automatically recorded in your Diploma Suppplement. Academic achievements abroad can be recognized in consultation with your department.
How it works
- After the announcement of the application period, apply via the Online Application Portal
- Subsequently, selection and nomination by the departments
- Then, application at the partner university
- Before your mobility: Submission of documents for the first grant installment
- After your mobility: Upload of documents for the second grant installment in the Online Application Portal
Students must meet the following requirements in order to apply for the Erasmus+ Student Mobility Program:
- Enrollment in a TUM degree program
- Successful completion of the first year of studies
- Planned stay of a minimum duration of three months and a maximum duration of twelve months
- Sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction in the host country.
- Successful completion of at least two semester-accompanying courses at the partner university as a prerequisite for the Erasmus+ grant
Please only apply for an exchange semester during the official application period via the Online Application Portal. Please select the form Application for Erasmus+ SMS, Switzerland, Double Degree and Departmental Program 2020/21. Remind to use exclusively the application form via the link on this website. The form is only available in English. If you use old (German) forms, your application can not be processed.
- For registration in the Online Application Portal use only your TUM e-mail address. Register only once with one single e-mail address.
- You can only fill in one Erasmus application in which you can choose up to eight desired universities, depending on your department. Please clarify in advance on the Erasmus website of your TUM department or with the Erasmus coordinator of your department the maximum number of wishes that is permissible for you.
- Please make sure to keep your login data in mind. You will need it again later on.
- Hand in your application as soon as possible because we cannot exclude technical problems.
The application deadline for the academic year 2020/21 in most departments was January 9, 2020 (at 12 noon). Please find further information regarding the exact deadline at your TUM department on the Erasmus website of your TUM department or contact the Erasmus coordinator of your department.
Departments using an additional application system to our Online Application Portal are: Department of Architecture and School of Management. Please contact these departments directly for further information.
Application documents to be uploaded in the Online Application Portal:
- Letter of motivation
- Language certificates
- Academic records of previous semester
- Preliminary study plan* at the host institution
Important: The selection and nomination for an Erasmus exchange spot is made by the respective departments. For further information on the documents to be submitted and if further application documents are required, please check the Erasmus website of your TUM department or contact the Erasmus coordinator of your department.
*Please find all templates in the Downloads section.
The Erasmus+ grant will be released after you have submitted the following documents:
- Grant Agreement This document will be provided to students via e-mail. The signed original form must be submitted to the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
- Learning Agreement for studies (Section 1) and annexes. Please also read the Guidelines on How to Complete the Learning Agreement.*
- OLS language test Invitations to complete the language test will be sent automatically via Mail by the OLS system. In addition, the EU offers free tutor-led online language courses via the OLS platform.
During your stay abroad
- Learning Agreement. If you would like to make changes to your Learning Agreement please complete the section "During Mobility" (section 2) of the form and submit it via e-mail to TUM Global & Alumni Office no later than 5 weeks after the start of your semester at the partner university.
- Confirmation of Stay* You must have it signed by your supervisor at the host university before your departure.
After your stay
- Confirmation of Stay
- Transcript of Records (if possible, including your ECTS Credits)
- Course Alignment*
- Experience Report*
- EU Survey for the European Commission. Students will automatically receive their login details from the EU database.
- OLS online language test Invitations to complete the language test will be sent automatically via Mail by the OLS system.
All documents have to be uploaded in MoveON via the form "After Mobility Documents (Erasmus SMS and SMP, SEMP, Double Degree)". You can only submit the complete filled form. Please make sure to use the same login data as in your application. Do not register with another e-mail account. If you have forgotten your password, you can request a new one there.
For detailed information about the above-mentioned documents and the Erasmus+ Program, please see the checklist.
*Please find all templates in the Downloads section.
- Special needs grant for students with physical / mental disability or chronic disease (degree of disability 30 or higher). If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please find details in the information sheet.
- Special needs grant for students wishing to go abroad with their child(ren). If you are interested, please contact email@example.com. Please find details in the information sheet.
- Grants for language courses in preparation for the stay abroad, to be completed either in Munich (for languages not offered by the TUM Language Center) or in the host country. Please request the application form via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) and submit it together with a copy of the original receipt for the paid course fees and your certificate of attendance no later than 4 weeks after your return.
- Cost reimbursement for visa applications for non-EU students and graduate. You can request the application form at email@example.com. Please submit this form as well as a copy of the invoice and a copy of the visa by e-mail no later than 4 weeks after your return.
- Opportunity to participate in a training course on intercultural communication, offered by the Language Center.
- Support for subletting accommodation from TUM students to international exchange students coming to Munich.
Erasmus delegates of the TUM departments
The Erasmus website of your TUM department or the Erasmus delegates of the TUM departments will inform you about:
- application modalities (application documents, accepted language certificates, selection criteria etc.)
- suitable time for your stay abroad during your studies
- partner universities
- recognition of courses (credits)
TUM Global & Alumni Office
The Erasmus office of the TUM Global & Alumni office answers your questions regarding the Erasmus+ Student Mobility incl. Erasmus+ grant:
- required documents for the Erasmus grant and deadlines for submission
- prolongation / shortening of your stay
- language and intercultural preparation
- funding for students with special needs (children, disablitiy, chronic desease)
- subsidy for visa or language course costs
Consultation hours: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10 am - 12 noon
Contact person by destination:
Sara Basurco: Austria, Bulgaria, Cypres, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey
Susanna March: Danmark, Finland, United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden
Helen Schoft: Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Portugal, Netherlands, Spain
Please inform yourself in our MoveON database about our more than 300 Erasmus+ partner universities.
You would like to get information about study abroad of students of TUM and their experiences? Read the reports of fellow students.