Would you like to get to know your European neighbors and expand your professional, linguistic and intercultural skills? With the Erasmus+ program, the TUM enables about 1,000 students per year to spend an unforgettable stay abroad in 32 European countries. Take advantage of the benefits of Erasmus+ and gain valuable study experience abroad.
The Erasmus+ program provides financial support and there are no tuition fees at the partner university. The semester abroad will be automatically recorded in your Diploma Suppplement. Academic achievements abroad can be recognized in consultation with your department.
Apply now for stays abroad in winter 2022/23 and summer 2023
Application period: December 1, 2021 to January 13, 2022 (12 noon)
If your TUM department has set a different deadline in consultation with the TUM Global & Alumni Office, please submit your application by this deadline.
Please apply online via the Online Application Portal . Select the form Application for Erasmus+ SMS, Switzerland, Double Degree and Departmental Program 2022/23.
For detailed information regarding the application process read the chapter "Application" below.
Note: At TUM Department of Architecture, TUM Department of Informatics and TUM School of Management, please submit your application first via their separate application tool. Please check the websites of your TUM department or school for further information.
How it works
- After the announcement of the application period, apply via the Online Application Portal
- Subsequently, selection and nomination by the departments
- Then, application at the partner university
- Before your mobility: Submission of documents for the first grant installment
- After your mobility: Upload of documents for the second grant installment in the Online Application Portal
Requirements for participation
Students must meet the following requirements in order to apply for the Erasmus+ Student Mobility Program:
- Enrollment in a TUM degree program
- Successful completion of the first year of studies
- Planned stay of a minimum duration of three* months and a maximum duration of twelve months (* for Erasmus stays starting 2022, minimum of 60 days)
- Sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction in the host country.
- Successful completion of at least two semester-accompanying courses at the partner university as a prerequisite for the Erasmus+ grant
Please only apply for an exchange semester during the official application period via the Online Application Portal. Application period for mobilities during the academic year 2022/23 is for most TUM departments from 1st December 2021 to 13th January 2022. Please select the form Application for Erasmus+ SMS, Switzerland, Double Degree and Departmental Program 2022/23. Remember to access the application form exclusively via the link on this website. The form is only available in English. If you use old (German) forms, your application can not be processed.
- For registration in the Online Application Portal use only your TUM e-mail address which contains given name and last name (email@example.com) - and do not register with your TUM id e-mail (ga99xyz). Register only once with one single e-mail address.
- You can only fill in one Erasmus application in which you can choose up to eight desired universities, depending on your department. Please clarify in advance on the Erasmus website of your TUM department or with the Erasmus coordinator of your department the maximum number of wishes that is permissible for you.
- Please make sure to keep your login data in mind. You will need it again later on.
- Hand in your application as soon as possible because we cannot exclude technical problems.
The application deadline for the academic year 2022/23 is January 13, 2022 (at 12 noon) for most TUM departments. Please find further information regarding the exact deadline at your TUM department on the Erasmus website of your TUM department or contact the Erasmus coordinator of your department.
The Departments of Architecture, Informatics, and the TUM School of Management use their own application system for the first application step. Information on this can be found on the respective departmental website.
Application documents to be uploaded in the Online Application Portal:
- Letter of motivation
- Language certificates
- Academic records of previous semester
- Preliminary study plan* at the host institution
Important: The selection and nomination for an Erasmus exchange spot is made by the respective departments. For further information on the documents to be submitted and if further application documents are required, please check the Erasmus website of your TUM department or contact the Erasmus coordinator of your department.
*Please find all templates in the Downloads section.
The Erasmus+ grant will be released after you have submitted the following documents:
- Grant Agreement This document will be provided to students via e-mail. The signed original form must be submitted to the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
- Online Learning Agreement (OLA) The fully signed OLA must be uploaded in MoveOn in the form "Erasmus Learning Agreement - before mobility"
- OLS language test Invitations to complete the language test will be sent automatically via Mail by the OLS system. In addition, the EU offers free tutor-led online language courses via the OLS platform.
- Confirmation of Arrival The signed document has to be submitted within the first week after the start of the mobility via e-mail to the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
During your stay abroad
- Online Learning Agreement (OLA) If you would like to make changes to your OLA please complete them in the OLA and upload it to MoveOn in the form "Erasmus Learning Agreement - during mobility" no later than 5 weeks after the start of your semester at the partner university.
- Confirmation of Stay* You must have it signed by your supervisor at the host university before your departure.
After your stay
- Confirmation of Stay
- Transcript of Records (if possible, including your ECTS Credits)
- Course Alignment*
- Experience Report*
- EU Survey for the European Commission. Students will automatically receive their login details from the EU database.
All documents have to be uploaded in MoveON via the form "After Mobility Documents (Erasmus SMS and SMP, SEMP, Double Degree)". You can only submit the complete filled form. Please make sure to use the same login data as in your application. Do not register with another e-mail account. If you have forgotten your password, you can request a new one there.
As soon as all of the above documents have been submitted and checked, the scholarship will be paid out in full and your stay will be entered in the diploma supplement of your diploma. These data are entered in the TUMonline database four times a year: in March, June, September, and December.
For detailed information about the above-mentioned documents and the Erasmus+ Program, please see the checklist which is sent by e-mail to all confirmed participants in time before the start of the stay abroad.
*Please find all templates in the Downloads section.
- Special needs grant for students with physical / mental disability or chronic disease (degree of disability 20 or higher). If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please find details in the information sheet.
- Special needs grant for students wishing to go abroad with their child(ren). If you are interested, please contact email@example.com. Please find details in the information sheet.
- Opportunity to participate in a training course on intercultural communication, offered by the Language Center.
- Support for subletting accommodation from TUM students to international exchange students coming to Munich.
- Green Travel Grant: Environmentally friendly travel with sustainable, low-emission mode of transport is supported in the Erasmus+ program in the form of a green travel grant. The green travel grant includes a one-time payment of 50€ and, if applicable, the funding of a maximum of four travel days with the individually applicable daily rate, which will be paid after the completion of the stay.
Erasmus delegates of the TUM departments
The Erasmus website of your TUM department or the Erasmus delegates of the TUM departments will inform you about:
- application modalities (application documents, accepted language certificates, selection criteria etc.)
- suitable time for your stay abroad during your studies
- partner universities
- recognition of courses (credits)
TUM Global & Alumni Office
The Erasmus office of the TUM Global & Alumni office answers your questions regarding the Erasmus+ Student Mobility incl. Erasmus+ grant:
- required documents for the Erasmus grant and deadlines for submission
- prolongation / shortening of your stay
- language and intercultural preparation
- funding for students with special needs (children, disablitiy, chronic desease)
- subsidy for visa or language course costs
Please inform yourself in our MoveON database about our more than 300 Erasmus+ partner universities.
You would like to get information about study abroad of students of TUM and their experiences? Read the reports of fellow students.