The ATHENS Programme offers students and doctoral candidates of TUM the opportunity to stay abroad at 23 partner universities in Europe (e.g. ParisTech, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Delft University of Technology). Twice a year – in mid-March and mid-November – specialized courses take place at the same time at all ATHENS universities.
Would you like to gain first-hand experience abroad and get to know the life, teaching, and mentality of a different major European University? Then take advantage of the ATHENS Programme and attend a one-week intensive course on engineering, natural sciences, mathematics, computer science, political science, and economics at one of the ATHENS partner universities. Participation in the program is free of charge, but the costs for travel and accommodation have to be paid by yourself.
How it works
- Select at least four courses at the participating partner universities via the ATHENS portal
- Apply online and and upload the application documents to MoveON
- Nomination and confirmation by ATHENS coordinators
- Participate in the 30-hour intensive course incl. final exam
- Participate in the 10- to 15-hour European Dimension Program
- Upload an experience report to MoveON for the record of stay in the Diploma Supplement
Participation requirements for the ATHENS week
In order to apply for the ATHENS Programme, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Enrollment at the TUM
- Fulfilling the respective course requirements, see course descriptions
- First year of study successfully completed
Dates and deadlines
It is planned that the next ATHENS week will take place from November 13th to 20th, 2021 in face-to-face format.
Please note that due to the Corona pandemic some or all partner universities can cancel their courses at short notice.
TUM cannot reimburse any cancellation costs inccured as a result. The decision and responsibility to apply for the ATHENS week is yours.
The online application period with a new course catalogue for this session starts on September 25, 2021. Application deadline is October 10, 2021 at 12.00 noon.
Application documents must have been submitted in both portals (ATHENS portal & MoveON portal) by this point in time.
- In the ATHENS course catalog you will find the courses offered for the upcoming session.
- Find out about the course requirements in the course descriptions. Only apply for courses you fulfill the prerequisites, e.g. subject-related knowledge year of study.
- Select at least four courses from the course offer. This increases your chances of participation. Please only choose courses you are really interested in, as it can happen that you are going to get assigned for your 4th choice.
- The course language is usually English. However, some courses offered by French partner universities are in French. Please ask if in doubt.
First, select courses via the ATHENS portal:
- Fill out and submit the registration form in the ATHENS portal, then print and sign it
- Print and sign the student commitment
- Write a motivation letter: length half a page to one page, in German or English, explaining your course selection
Second, register at MoveON to upload the application documents listed above:
- After final course selection in the ATHENS portal, register in MoveON with your TUM e-mail address
- Complete the form Application for ATHENS
- Upload the signed documents and motivation letter to MoveON
The selection for a place in one of the courses is made by the ATHENS coordinators based on your application. Confirmations / rejections will be announced in mid-October 2021.
A pre-departure meeting by TUM will take place in time for the ATHENS session, where important questions can be clarified before departure. You will receive an invitation by e-mail.
- Your application is binding, so please only apply if you are sure you can take part in the ATHENS week.
- Clarify in advance whether an absence from TUM is possible in your degree program during the ATHENS week.
- Find out in advance about the costs for your stay in the respective city. You can find a quick orientation on the ATHENS website.
- Participation in the intensive course and the cultural activities is mandatory.
- Please inform yourself in good time about the date of the kick-off event at your partner university.
- Please note the cancellation deadlines when using the "Housing Option", as you will have to pay the cancellation fees yourself.
- In case your ATHENS stay needs to be interrupted due to any unforeseen circumstances TUM cannot bear any related costs. We strongly recommend buying flexible tickets.
Record in the Diploma Supplement and ECTS
After successfully participating in the ATHENS Programme and submitting an ATHENS report, your stay abroad will be printed in the Diploma Supplement. Furthermore, a green travel grant can be paid by the TUM Global & Alumni Office in case of travelling with environmentally friendly means of transport (details to follow).
After the trip:
- Documented successful participation in the specialized course and the European Dimension Program
- Upload an experience report (2-4 pages) to MoveON
Reports from other ATHENS participants can be found in our online database.
- If applicable proof of environmentally friendly mean of transport
Two (2) ECTS can be awarded for ATHENS courses at the TUM. Please inquire in advance about the possibilities for recognition within your degree program either with the Examination Office or your departmental student advisor.