Coronavirus (Covid-19): Information regarding your stay at TUM

As we receive a lot of questions related to coronavirus and to the measures taken by Germany we have gathered some answers to the most frequently asked questions for you. Please note that due to the rapid developments our FAQ page may not be as up-to-date as the official websites of ministries and health authorities.

Last updates: July 14, 2021

Situation in Munich and Germany in general

Germany is a federal state. Therefore, many measures to fight agains the Corona pandemic are taken at the state level (state = e.g. Bavaria, federal = Federal Republic of Germany).

Corona infections have been decreasing since May 2021. A number of restrictions have been loosened. You can find the latest information on rules and regulations regarding coronavirus on the webpages of the City of Munich and the Bavarian State Ministry of Health and Care (in German only). An overview in several languages is also given on the page "Corona Munich Multilingual".

You can find official information on the situation in Germany on the following websites:

Entry requirements / Information about tests and obligation to quarantine

Please find detailed information regarding the current travel restrictions and quarantine regulations on the FAQ webpage of the Federal Ministry of Health, on the FAQ webpage of the Federal Ministry of the Interior and the FAQ webpage of the Federal Police (only available in German).

In Germany, a distinction is made between:

  •     "normal" risk areas
  •     High incidence areas
  •     Virus variant areas

Depending on the category in which the country of origin is classified, different entry and quarantine rules apply. (In the case of virus variant areas, for example, entry is only possible in very limited exceptional cases). The Robert Koch Institute maintains a continually updated list of risk areas at the following address

For further information on rules for incoming passengers to Germany, please also see the information sheet for travelers by the Federal Ministry of Health.

You can find a list of the countries and regions, which are considered as "risk areas", "virus variant areas" or "high incidence areas" on the website of the Robert Koch Institute. Please check this website regularly since the list gets updated whenever there are new developments.

Before entering the country, you are required to register at and carry the confirmation with you when travelling. This confirmation will be checked by your carrier and potentially also by the Federal Police in the context of the entry control. By registering electronically, the local health department (Gesundheitsamt) is informed about your situation and will contact you if necessary.

The classification of the home country as a "normal" risk area, high incidence area or virus variant area (see above) is also relevant here.

Depending on the category in which the country of origin is classified, different testing and verification requirements apply. The Robert Koch Institute maintains a continually updated list of risk areas at the following address

For further information on rules for incoming passengers to Germany, please also see the information sheet for travelers by the Federal Ministry of Health.

Since regulations can change quickly, we recommend that you take a PCR test in your home country to be on the safe side.


If you need to be tested after your arrival or during your stay in Germany, please note the following:

Where can I find testing centers?

You can find information about testing centers in Munich and/or outside Munich (Landkreis München) here (only available in German):

However, you should check whether the respective test center is open before visiting, as depending on the number of cases, non-public test centers may be closed. Among the many locations of test centers for rapid antigen tests are the StudiTUM buildings at TUM main campus in Munich as well as at the campus in Garching. Rapid tests are are possible at the TUM campus in Weihenstephan.

If the result is positive

The test result will be reported to the responsible public health office. You must self-isolate immediately and will receive further information on how to proceed from the health office and/or the TUM crisis task force. 

If the result is negative

  • Please first of all follow the advise that you get from the local health department (Gesundheitsamt). Should your test result be negative, you usually do not have to self-isolate. We ask you, however, to minimize your social contacts for 10 days and not come to TUM, if possible. Make sure to keep the minimum distance of 1.5 meters, follow the hygiene guidelines, and wear a community mask wherever it is required.

We ask you to do so because the tests are only a snapshot for the point of time you got tested. Even if the result was negative it is still possible to fall ill within the incubation period of 10 days and to contract the virus. Therefore we ask you to please send an email to the TUM coronavirus crisis task force immediately if any symptoms appear. This request also applies in case you experience any symptoms at a later point of time.  

We ask you to consider those ten days when planning your travel to Germany and to reduce your social contacts after your arrival to the absolute minimum for ten days. This applies anyway to all students who are going to live in a dormitory of the Munich Student Union.

In Germany, three types of tests are mainly used.

PCR tests are the most reliable, the evaluation of these tests is done by a laboratory and the result is only available after four to six hours at the earliest (usually longer). They are used, for example, to clarify whether a person with symptoms is infected with SARS-CoV-2 or to verify a positive rapid or self-test. Tests are for example performed at official or private testing centers or in a medical office. The PCR test is in some cases free of charge for persons residing in Bavaria.

Rapid antigen tests (Schnelltest) are also only performed by trained staff. As with the PCR test, a nasal or throat swab is taken. Tests are performed at local health department testing centers or by contracted third parties (e.g. medical offices, private testing centers [e.g. in the StudiTUM buildings at TUM main campus in Munich and at the campus in Garching], as well as at the TUM campus in Weihenstephan. in many pharmacies). Since March 8, all citizens can be tested at least once a week with a rapid test. The costs are covered by the federal government.

Antigen self-tests (Selbsttest) are available in some stores since mid-March, they can be used at home and can provide additional safety in specific situations in everyday life - such as a private visit.

Both types of antigen tests work on a similar principle to pregnancy tests. They provide a test result much faster, therefore you can get the result directly on site after about 10 minutes. However, they are less reliable and therefore do not provide 100% certainty. If a rapid or self-test is positive, the result should definitely be confirmed by a PCR test. There is also an obligation to report the infection.

All types of tests are always only snapshots and should therefore be repeated regularly before contact with other persons. A negative test result is by no means a “carte blanche” to give up social distancing and other protective measures.

Delivery services

Various supermarkets and other delivery services bring groceries directly to your home, among others:

Food delivery services, e.g.

Please note: Ofter there is a minimum order value and delivery costs may incur.

Additional support 

If you are in quarantine in a room of the student union (Studentenwerk München), these Facebook groups may help you to find additional support, possibly even someone who does your shopping. 

To-dos and first steps in Munich

You can find a summary of the most important things to do after your arrival in the checklist for exchange students at TUM . All Covid-19-related deviations are summarized in the following sections:

Usually, you have to register your address within two weeks with your local municipality. If you are unable to print the documents because you are in quarantine and do not have a printer at home, please take care of it as soon as possible after the quarantine ends.


More information is available on the website of the KVR.

Outside of Munich

Registration is only possible in person and should be done as soon as the quarantine ends. You have to make an appointment online beforehand. 


Apply for the residence permit online on the website of the City of Munich (Kreisverwaltungsreferat [KVR]). This guide will help you to complete the application on the website. 

Documents needed for application:

  • Completed application form
  • Valid passport
  • Enrollment certificate of the Technical University of Munich
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial resources of 863 €: Financing must be secure for at least one year. If you are granted a scholarship of less than 863 € monthly, you must submit additional evidence from your parents or from a sponsor about the difference in the amount. 
  • Proof of registration in Munich or in the neighboring municipalities respectively
  • Visa for study purposes, if applicable
  • Recent biometric passport photo

Fees: Issue of a residence permit 100 €, extension 96 €

When all documents have been submitted, you will be informed about a personal appointment to receive the residence permit.

If you already had a residence title, the legal fiction of the validity of the current residence title also extends beyond the actual term as soon as the application for an extension has been handed in. Legal residence is thus guaranteed for the duration of the procedure! If necessary, a fictional certificate will be sent by post. The fee for the fictional certificate must be paid on request (13 euros).

If you are unable to print the documents because you are in quarantine and do not have a printer at home, please take care of it as soon as possible after the quarantine ends.

Outside of Munich

Details may differ in Garching, Freising, and other municipalities. To make sure you can provide all required information, please contact the responsible foreigners' registration office (Ausländerbehörde).

Numerous banks offer the opportunity to open an account either online or by mail. Among those are:

In case you have to self-isolate and the opening of an account with your preferred bank is only possible in person, please discuss the procedures with a representative of the relevant bank.

  • In the dormitories of the Munich Student Union, all rooms have wired internet connection. A device (laptop etc.) with an Ethernet connection and an ethernet cable is required for use. If you do not have either – many modern laptops no longer have an Ethernet plug, the same applies to tablets, smartphones –, you need a router to set up a WiFi network. It is advisable to bring the cable and possibly a router. Students will receive more details on how to set up a WiFi network (using a router and an Ethernet cable) in their room, together with the rental agreement.
  • All others please inquire with your landlord or roommates.
  • You can also use public hotspots on an interim basis. Find a public hotspot close to you

Procedures at TUM

Please limit your time on campus to a minimum and observe the necessary hygiene measures. Among those are:

  • Contact service units and offices not personally, but by email or phone
  • It is mandatory to wear a mask in all TUM buildings
  • Do not come to the university if you have any symptoms
  • Keep your distance of at least 1.5 meters from others
  • Comply with hygiene rules, especially regular hand washing
  • For all courses that take place on campus, always use Contract Tracing function for lecture halls and study areas, in order to interrupt chains of infection. Further information on Contract Tracing in TUM buildings.

Please check the TUM webpage on Covid-19 for the latest information regarding life on campus.

Should you have any specific questions, please contact your faculty's International Affairs Delegates. Please also check your inbox regularly to make sure you do not miss any important information.

Hygiene guidelines and medical care in Germany

The wearing of a mask belongs, together with social distancing and hygiene to the most important measures in the fight against the pandemic.
Basically, two types of masks exist for "normal use" in everyday life: the FFP2 mask and the "normal" mouth-nose protection (e.g. textile mask or medical mask).

It is obligatory to wear FFP2 masks in public transport (also at bus stops) as well as when shopping, during religious services or when visiting a doctor's office.
FFP2 masks can be purchased in pharmacies, drugstores (dm, Rossmann) and on the Internet. They should only be worn once.

A mask obligation also applies at TUM in teaching rooms, laboratories, meeting rooms as well as in sanitary rooms, elevators and on circulation and meeting areas in buildings. A simple mouth-nose protection is sufficient.

As with all illnesses – also influenza or the flu –, a proper hand hygiene as well as complying with the coughing and sneezing etiquette can help prevent transmission of the novel coronavirus.

The most important is to keep your distance from others when coughing and sneezing and turn around, to cover your mouth and nose with flexed elbow, and to use tissues that you can dispose of immediately. Also, to wash your hands regularly with soap and to avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.

Please note that since January 2021, everyone is obliged to cover nose and mouth with an FFP2 mask on public transport as well as in e.g. shops and medical practices.

  • Should you develop symptoms such as fever, coughing, or shortness of breath, you should contact a doctor („Allgemeinarzt/Hausarzt“). Please call first and wait for further instructions. 
  • You can look for a doctor via your preferred search engine or the website of the Kassenärztliche Vereinigung Bayerns (KVB). On the left side of the page, you will find the section 'Arzt-/Psychotherapeutensuche'. Simply enter your postcode and check the box Arzt für Coronavirus-Test if you want to get tested. Those living in Munich can for example take the test at the Test Center at Theresienwiese.
  • Corona tests are free of charge in Bavaria.
  • You can also search your home country's consulate website to find doctors who speak your mother tongue. Outside of the general opening hours, you can call the medical emergency services 116117.
  • Please visit the city of Munich's Medical Help website for more information.
  • Covid-19 infections, suspected cases, or contacts, must be immediately reported to the TUM coronavirus crisis task force. Please send an email to the crisis task force and include the following information: full name, current address in Germany, phone number.

The coronavirus warning app helps you determine whether you have had any contact with an infected person which could result in a risk of catching the virus. This way, chains of infection can be interrupted more quickly. The app is a service by the Federal Government. Download and use of the app are entirely voluntary. It is available as a free download in the App Store and from Google Play.