Within the scope of other bilateral programs, students can study at TUM for 1 up to a maximum of 3 semesters. This allows students to thoroughly familiarize themselves with the language, (learning) culture and lifestyle of their host country. Each partner university selects students by academic performance, commitment and language skills, and nominates them for the exchange. The International Office of your home university will subsequently send your application documents to the International Center. TUM will not accepted your application without prior e-nomination by your university!
Your nomination and documents must be received by the TUM International Center within the application period indicated below but no later than the specified application deadline.
- Winter semester: March 15 – May 15
- Summer semester: September 15 – October 31
Please fill out required forms in the language in which you intend to study at TUM: if you will be attending courses in German, for example, please fill out in German; if you will mainly be attending courses in English, please fill out in English; if you will be attending courses in German and English, please fill out in one of these languages.
We accept all documents written in German or English (if necessary, please translate and have the translation certified and stamped by your home university).
Important: Applications submitted and posted after the application deadline will not be considered!
How to apply? (Required documents)
First step: register in the below mentioned portal (link see "Online form" - please only register in this application portal!), fill out the online form which appears after registration, upload all necessary documents, submit the data via our portal to TUM.
Second step: Send a confirmationmail together with your PDF documents via e-mail to TUM International Center (Incoming Office). Please do NOT send any documents via post / courier to TUM anymore!
Please note: All information e-mails as well as your TUM admission letter will be send to the e-mail adresse you mention in the Online form. Make sure to check it on a regular basis. The same for your spam folder: the experience shows that some TUM e-mails will end up there. So make sure to check it as well and if possible to cancel the function "delete at once".
You will be required to submit (single copies) of each of the following documents:
- Online form
Important technical note: Our online application is optimized for Firefox 5 or higher as well as for Google Chrome; please do not use any other browsers! Important: Online applications submitted after the application deadline will not be considered! When completing the online form in the applicant portal, please follow the instructions on the first page of the form.
- Letter of motivation in English or German (approx. 1 page stating the reasons for your planned stay abroad at TUM).
- Transcript of records (itemized academic performance to date) master's students: please include your transcript from the bachelor's degree. We accept transcripts in German or English (if necessary, please translate and have the translation certified and stamped by your home university).
- Document stating the courses, you are enrolled in within the current semester, which are consequently not yet listed on your transcript (please use this form (doc, 20 KB) or your own).
- CV in English or German.
- 1 passport-style photo - please attach to the online form
- Photocopy of your passport/ID card (if applicable)
- Study Program / Learning Agreement: courses you want to attend at TUM (If necessary please discuss your study plans with your home university and the coordinator of your TUM department. Please complete the Study Plan / Learning Agreement by typing the names of courses (not handwritten!) in German or in English (!)
- Language skills certificates (a certificate confirming your language skills, which is no older than 2 years). This certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school. Self-assessment tests without signature of the homeuniversity cannot be accepted:
- Verification of your English skills if you are planning to attend courses in English at TUM
- Verification of your German skills if you are planning to attend courses in German at TUM
- Verification of your German and English skills if you are planning to attend courses in German and English at TUM
You can only transmit your data to TUM and complete your application as specified below once you have uploaded all documents to the applicant portal:
send a confirmationmail together with your PDF documents via e-mail to TUM. Please do not send any documents via post / courier to TUM anymore !
Please note that only complete applications which include all required documents can be processed and forwarded to the Admissions and Enrollment Office by the specified deadline. If documents are missing, we will notify you by Mail but will suspend the further processing of your application until following you corrected your application within the application deadline. Late submissions of application documents cannot be processed.
You would like to attend courses taught in German at TUM? Requirements: excellent German skills.
You would like to attend courses taught in English? Requirements: excellent English skills.
You would like to attend courses taught in German and English? Requirements: excellent German and English skills.
Please note that we continue to offer many courses in the German language only at TUM.
Which level is required?
TUM departments request a German respec. English certificate (depending in which language you will study at TUM) of at least B1.
Exceptions are TUM School of Management, School of Education and the Center of Life and Sciences in Weihenstephan: here a level of at least B2 is requested.
Please contact your home university for further information about the required language proficiency level.
The TUM course catalog is available here (Please DO NOT register for TUMonline yourself! TUM will take care of registration on behalf of all exchange students once they have been accepted! Until then, please use TUMonline without registering in order to look for courses for your Learning Agreement! You will receive further information about the procedure and timing of your course registration by mail once you have been accepted.)
How to find courses in a specific TUM department? See here (pdf, 878 KB).
- At least 60% of the courses you register for must be offered by the school / department you will be enrolled in at TUM!
- For all question regarding courses and examinations please contact your future TUM department.
- If you are planning to complete a thesis/project, you must do so at TUM and will have to find your own topic/project! TUM does not allow you to complete your thesis/project with external firms/institutions if you intend to be enrolled at TUM.
- Special arrangements concerning examination dates and procedures at TUM cannot be made for exchange students! You must comply with scheduled exam dates and times which usually to take place between February and March (winter semester) and between July and September (summer semester).For further information regarding examination periods please see here under the TUM department.
- For questions regarding the recognition of the courses you wish to take at TUM please contact your home university.
- May 15 for students wishing to study at TUM during the winter semester or for a whole academic year
- October 31 for students wishing to commence their studies at TUM during the summer semester
Please note: Your documents and nomination must be received by the TUM International Center no later than on May 15 or October 31!
The representatives of your TUM department will verify your complete application documents for eligibility. You will then receive your acceptance letter by e-mail from July onwards (for the winter semester) or from December onwards (for the summer semester). Your acceptance as an exchange student is not confirmed by TUM until you have received this letter!