The TUMexchange program enables students from our partner universities outside the EU to study at TUM for up to three semesters. This is an excellent opportunity for international students to study at one of the world's most renowned universities and to thoroughly familiarize themselves with the German language, culture, and lifestyle at one go.
Due to the current situation regarding the coronavirus disease Covid-19 and the virus SARS-CoV-2, we ask you to get in touch with us by e-mail only until further notice. We will try our best to perform our consulting services as smoothly as possible this way.
How it works
- Express interest in going to TUM at your home university, which must have a partnership agreement with TUM.
- The universities select candidates and e-nominate them for the TUMexchange program.
This e-nomination has to be done by the home university for every student via the MoveON platform. Information and links about how to e-nominate as well as further instructions regarding the application process at TUM will be sent to all partner universities in March for the winter term and in September for the summer term.
- If you are nominated, you can apply directly at TUM.
- The representatives of your TUM department will verify your application documents and decide on acceptance.
- In the final step, you will receive your acceptance letter from the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
The time frame for the nofication depends on which semester you will spend / start at TUM: in December for the summer term, in July for the winter term.
- Your home university must have a partnership agreement with us.
- Your home university must nominate you for a place on the TUMexchange program.
- You must remain enrolled at your home university.
Please get in touch with the International Center of your home university to find out about the application process applicable at your institution.
Once you are nominated for TUMexchange by your home university, you must apply to TUM during one of the application periods. The process is as follows:
- Register on the online application portal first.
Please note: Our online application is optimized for Firefox 5 or higher as well as for Google Chrome. Make sure to use only one of these browsers!
- Fill in the form Application for incoming students completely and upload all necessary documents.
Please note: Your TUM admission letter as well as all information e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address you use in the online form. Therefore, please make sure to check your inbox and spam folder on a regular basis, so you do not miss any deadlines or other important information.
Please fill in all required forms in the language in which you intend to study at TUM. We accept all documents written in German or English. If necessary, please translate them and have the translated versions certified and stamped by your home university.
The following documents must be uploaded to the online application portal:
- One page, tabular, German or English
- German or English, maximum two pages
- Describe your academic and personal goals
All TUM departments will request a certificate verifying your current German and/or English skills:
- If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in English: Verification of your English skills
- If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in German: Verification of your German skills
- If you are planning to attend courses at TUM in German and English: Verification of your German and English skills
In most cases, the required level is at least B1. Exceptions: TUM School of Management, TUM School of Education, and the Center of Life and Sciences in Weihenstephan, where a level of at least B2 is required.
- The certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school. Self-assessment tests without signature of the home university cannot be accepted
Transcript of records
- An itemized academic performance to date is required. If you are a master's student, please also include your transcript from the bachelor's degree.
Overview of current courses at home university
- You need to submit a document listing the courses you are enrolled in during the current semester, which are not listed on your transcript (please use the template under Downloads)
Study plan / Learning Agreement
- List of courses you want to attend at TUM, German or English, typed
While preparing for your stay at TUM, make sure to take a look at the TUM course catalogue to check the offering for your study plan / Learning Agreement. If you have any questions about the study plan, please contact the exchange officer at your home university and the coordinator of your TUM department. Please check with your home university to determine if you have to use a special form for your study plan. This document does not need to be signed at the time of your application at TUM.
- At least 60% of the courses you register for must be offered by the school / department you will be enrolled in at TUM.
- For all question regarding courses and examinations please contact your future TUM department.
- For questions regarding the recognition of the courses you wish to take at TUM please contact your home university.
Photocopy of passport / ID
- If applicable
Submit your application
Once you have uploaded and submitted all documents, you will receive your online application form in PDF format. Submit this application following the instructions on the portal.
Please note: Only complete applications, which include all required documents can be processed and forwarded to the Admissions and Enrollment Office by the specified deadline.
If any documents are missing, we will notify you by mail, but will suspend the processing of your application during the application period until all documents have been submitted. Late submissions cannot be processed.
We also offer students participating in the TUMexchange program the opportunity to do an internship as part of their stay at TUM.
- Internships must be arranged by the students themselves
- The internship must be at TUM or a TUM institute
- You have to be enrolled at TUM
You can find vacancies on the TUM Jobportal of Alumni & Career Services and on the general TUM job portal in the category Student assistant positions, internships and student jobs.