Regardless of whether you will require a visa: in Germany you are obligated to register your residency in person within 2 weeks after your arrival with the local authorities, unless you are staying in Germany less than three months.
Depending on the location of your residence, the registration is possible:
- in Munich at the "Kreisverwaltungsreferat" (local government) or at one of the branch offices more conveniently located to your residence.
- in Garching
- in Freising
The following documents are required for registration:
- Landlord's Confirmation of Residence, only available in German (The document can be issued by your landlord or the management company responsible for your apartment.)
- Valid identity document (e.g. passport)
- Rental agreement
If you hold a foreign citizenship, you might have to spend some time in the “Ausländerbehörde” (foreigners office) in order to apply for a residence permit. Generally, the residence permit you will get depends on the main purpose of your stay. Get useful information and an overview on different residence titles here.
Depending on your place of residence, you can apply for a residence permit at:
- the foreigners office of the city of Munich (if you are living in Munich)
- the foreigners office of the district office of Munich (if you are living in Garching)
- the foreigners office of the district office of Freising (if you are living in Freising)
- If you hold the citizenship of one of the member states of the EU or one of the EAA member states (Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein – not Switzerland) you normally do not have to apply for a residence permit due to your “Freizügigkeit von Unionsbürgern“ (your freedom of movement as an EU citizen). Normally, especially as a researcher, you do not need a work permit either, but there might be exceptions for Bulgarian and Romanian citizens.
- If you do not hold the citizenship of one of the countries named before, you will have to go to the Ausländerbehörde after your arrival and apply for a residence permit.
For the application you will need the following documents (original and copy):
- Completed form “application for a residence permit”
- Proof of residency registration
- Valid passport
- Proof of your financing for your stay at TUM
- Proof of health insurance
- Confirmation of the university or the research institution concerning the type and duration of your stay or employment
- One current biometric photo
- Processing fee of about 110 € for your first registration or 60 € for a renewal
- Possibly you may be asked for further documents, like birth- and marriage certificates and university degrees.
As of late, so called electronic residence permits are handed out in Germany.
Additional useful information about the residence permit:
- Even if you do not have all the documents available by the time your visa ends, go to the Ausländerbehörde anyway. You will then receive a temporary document regarding your application for a residence permit.
- You can receive or extend your residence permit for a maximum of two years (if the purpose of your stay is not fulfilled yet, but can be fulfilled in an adequate amount of time (§16 Abs.1 AufenthG). Please apply for an extension in due time before your residence permit ends.
- The residence permit is fixed to a certain purpose of your stay. If this purpose is fulfilled your residence permit ends.
- Once you have entered Germany, the purpose of your stay usually may not be changed (§16.Abs.2 AufenthG). If you would like to have it changed, you might have to leave Germany and apply for a visa once again.
- You and your family need to have proof of health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay in Germany. Without such proof, you may not obtain a visa if you come from a country outside Europe or you might not be given a residence permit on your arrival in Germany if you are planning to stay here longer than 3 months.
- If you are a European citizen, failure to be in possession of adequate health insurance is a breach of the regulations governing free movement of citizens of EU member states.
- In general, you have to have a German bank account to get a health insurance. Find more information on how to open a German bank account.
- For further information regarding private and public health insurance schemes, please contact the International Center.
- Everyone living in Germany is liable for damage that he/she inflicts on others. In a big city like Munich it is very easy to cause other people loss or damage. Should you ever be responsible for some mishap, either intentional or unintentional, you may be liable for the rest of your life for the loss or damage incurred. For this reason, we strongly advise you to insure yourself against these risks.
- For further information regarding liability-, accident- and other social insurances, please contact the International Center.
What`s your income after taxes?
Gross and net income as in an example for an unmarried employee without children working in Bavaria in 2016:
Gross income 3,250 EUR
- Income tax 506.33 EUR (tax bracket I)
- Solidarity tax 27.85 EUR (5.5% of total of income tax, capital returns tax, corporate tax)
- Church tax - optional - 40.51 EUR (8% of income tax)
- Health insurance 273 EUR (employee`s share 7.3%, employer`s share 7.3%. Additionally the employee has to pay a premium that differs, depending on the health insurance company. Here: AOK Bayern with 1.1%)
- Nursing care insurance 42.25 EUR (employee`s share 1.275%, employer`s share 1.025%, in total 2.3%)
- Pension insurance 303.86 EUR (employee`s share 9.45%, employer`s share 9.45%, in total 18.9%)
- Unemployment insurance 48.75 EUR (employee`s share 1.5%, employer`s share 1.5%, in total 3%)
Total taxes: 574.69 EUR
Total insurances: 667.86 EUR
Net income: 2,007.45 EUR
In the document Understanding your payslip we explain all contents of your salary statement.
Please note: As a scholarship holder you do not pay taxes and do not contribute to the social security system in Germany. However, you have to calculate expenses for your health insurance at least. That is why the example can also give a rough approximation of the net income for scholarship holders.
More information can be found on the salary calculator for the civil service sector.
Munich is not only an excellent location for research, but is also well known for its diverse range of historic sights and cultural events. Here you will find a view ideas for things to do in your leisure time as well as information on international networks and communities.