The TUMexchange Program
The TUMexchange program comprises academic exchanges with selected universities outside the EU. It offers students from partner universities the opportunity to study at TUM for one or two semesters and thoroughly familiarize themselves with the country's language, (learning) culture and lifestyle. We are offering exchange programs with more than 100 universities in 24 countries. Each partner university selects TUMexchange students by academic performance, commitment and language skills, and nominates them for the exchange. Applications will not be accepted without prior e-nomination by your institution of higher education!
Application period and required documents
Your nomination and documents must be received by the TUM International Center within the application period indicated below but no later than the specified application deadline.
- Winter semester: March 15 - May 15
- Summer semester: September 15 - October 31
You will be required to submit (single copies only) of each of the following documents:
- Online form
Important technical note: Our online application is optimized for Firefox 5 or higher as well as for Google Chrome; please do not use any other browsers! Important: Online applications submitted after the application deadline will not be considered! When completing the online form in our applicant portal, please follow the instructions on the first page of the form.
- Letter of motivation in English or German (approx. 1 page stating the reasons for your planned stay abroad at TUM).
- Transcript of records (itemized academic performance to date. If you are a master's student, please also include your transcript from the bachelor's degree.) We accept transcripts in German or English (if necessary, please translate and have the translation certified and stamped by your home university).
- Document stating the courses , you are enrolled in within the current semester, which are consequently not yet listed on your transcript (please use this form (doc, 20 KB) or your own).
- CV in English or German .
- 1 passport-style photo - please attach to the online form
- Photocopy of your passport/ID card (if applicable)
- Study Plan / Learning Agreement: courses you want to attend at TUM (If necessary please discuss your study plans with your home university and the coordinator of your TUM department.
- Language certificates (a certificate confirming your current language skills; this certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school):
- Verification of your English skills: if you are planning to attend courses in English at TUM
- Verification of your German skills: if you are planning to attend courses in German at TUM
- Verification of your German and English skills: if you are planning to attend courses in German and English at TUM
The first step of your application will only be complete once you have uploaded all your documents to the applicant portal and your data is ready for transmission to TUM!
Please also send a printed copy of the online form and all other documents to the address below by post/courier (please do not send via fax or Mail!):
Technische Universität München
International Center (incoming)
Please note that only complete applications which include all required documents can be processed and forwarded to the Admissions and Enrollment Office by the specified deadline. If documents are missing, we will notify you by Mail but will suspend the further processing of your application until we have received the missing documents. Late submissions of application documents cannot be processed.
Please also note: Special arrangements concerning examination dates and procedures at TUM cannot be made for exchange students! You must comply with scheduled exam dates and times. Examination dates are set by each TUM school or department and are usually scheduled to take place between February and March (winter semester) and between July and September (summer semester).
- Proficiency in German/English (min. Level B2) are necessary to ensure successful completion of your studies (for language certificates, see also “Application documents”).
- Please note that very few courses are offered in English at the TUM Departments of Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Medicine and Chemistry. (see “Application documents” for language certificates and “Courses at TUM”). As a rule, students wishing to study at the TUM Schools of Mechanical Engineering, Medicine or Chemistry are therefore required to provide evidence of their German skills as proof of their ability to follow lectures.
Courses and examinations at TUM
The TUM course catalog is available here (Please DO NOT register for TUMonline yourself! TUM will take care of registration on behalf of all exchange students once they have been accepted! Until then, please use TUMonline without registering in order to look for courses for your Learning Agreement! You will receive further information about the procedure and timing of your course registration by Mail once you have been accepted.)
Please select “Courses” from the Search field to access the course catalog. If no courses are shown for the semester in which you would like to study at TUM, please select the same semester for the previous year (in most cases, the courses offered will be the same).
Please note: The majority (at least 60%) of the courses you register for must be offered by the TUM school or department you will be enrolled in!
For further questions please contact your TUM department.
Please also note:
- Special arrangements concerning examination dates at TUM cannot be made for exchange students! You must comply with scheduled exam dates and times. Examination dates are set by each TUM school or department and are usually scheduled to take place between February and March (winter semester) and between July and September (summer semester).
- For questions regarding the recognition of the courses you wish to take at TUM please contact your home university.
- May 15 for students wishing to study at TUM during the winter semester or for a whole academic year
- October 31 for students wishing to commence their studies at TUM during the summer semester
Please note: Your documents and nomination must be received by TUM no later than on May 15 or October 31!
The representatives of your TUM school or department will verify your complete application documents for eligibility. You will subsequently receive your acceptance letter by Mail from the TUM International Center from July onwards (for the winter semester) or from December onwards (for the summer semester). Your acceptance as an exchange student is not confirmed by TUM until you have received this letter!
Internship within the scope of TUMexchange
We also offer students participating in a foreign exchange program the opportunity to complete an internship as part of their stay abroad. Arrangements for such an internship must be made by the students themselves. An internship lasting four to six months enables exchange students to also get to know the professional environment of their host country. Internships are not compulsory. Please note that TUMexchange does not allow students to complete an internship without simultaneously being enrolled in an exchange program. The internship must be arranged by the applicants themselves and can either take place before or after the semester of study. TUM supports applicants in their search for an internship where possible.
Additional useful information is available from the links below: