As part of our bilateral partnership agreements, students can switch to TUM for 1 to 3 semesters. This gives students the opportunity to become thoroughly acquainted with the language, (learning) culture and lifestyle of our country.
The partner university selects the students according to their academic performance, dedication and language proficiency before nominating them for the exchange visit. Your application documents will then be forwarded to TUM via the International Office of your home university.
You cannot submit an application until you have obtained your university's e-nomination!
Application period and required documents
Your nomination and complete application documents need to be at TUM International Center within the application period, but latest by the specified deadline:
Winter term: March 15th - May 15th Summer term: September 15th - October 31st
Please fill the documents in the language you are planning to study at TUM: If you choose courses in German, please prepare documents in German, if you choose courses in English, please prepare documents in English.
Please submit the following documents (only in single copy):
- Online form Important technical information: The online application has been optimized to work with Firefox 5 or higher and Google Chrome. Please only use these browsers! Also pay attention to the information you can find on the first page in our application portal. Please note that new applications sent after our application deadline cannot be accepted anymore!
- Letter of motivation in English or German (about 1 page giving the reasons for choosing TUM for your proposed period of study abroad).
- Transcript of records (all the grades you have attained at university so far. If you are Master student, please also send your Bachelor grades). We accept transcripts in German or English. If necessary please translate. Translation should be signed and stamped by your university.
- Document including the courses you are attending at the moment in your current semester (and so are still not listened in the transcript. You can use this form or an own one)
- Curriculum vitae (CV) in English or German.
- 1 passport photo for your StudentCard - please stick on the online form
- copy of your ID-card / passport (if available)
- A Learning Agreement (should be filled out in German or English (!) and should be signed and stamped by the coordinator of your home university). If you have questions about the courses at TUM please contact TUM International Student Advisors
- language certificate: a confirmation about your current language level, issued within the last 2 years. This confirmation can be issued by your home university or a language school:
- English language certificate: Students who are planning to attend courses in English at TUM
- German language certificate: Students who are planning to attend courses in German at TUM
- German and English language certificates: Students who are planning to attend courses in German and English at TUM
Only after you uploaded all documents in the application portal you can submit your data to TUM and the first step of your application is complete.
Following the onlineform together with all other documents need to be sent again by ordinary post / courier (please do not fax or email it !!!) to the following address :
Technische Universität München
International Office (incoming)
Please note that we can only deal with applications that are submitted complete with all the documents required on or before the relevant deadline, before forwarding them to the admission office. If any documents are missing, we will advise you by e-mail, but your application can only be processed once we have received the missing papers. We regret that late applications cannot be considered.
- To enable you to follow the lectures and really benefit from them (also see "Application documents" for language certificate and "courses at TUM") for courses given in German, a good command of German (we recommand at least B2), for courses given in English, a good command of English (we recommand at least B2) is required.
- Please note that the Departments of Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Medicine and Chemistry offer only a few or no courses taught in English for undergraduate students (see also "Application documents" for language certificate and "courses at TUM"). Students who apply for the Department for Mechanical Engineering, Medicine or Chemistry are requested to submit a German language certificate in order to be able to attend the courses taught in German.
Courses at TUM
All courses that are offered at TUM can be found here (for description how to find courses, please read here). (Please do NOT register in TUMonline by your own! Registration for all exchange students will be done automatically by TUM after you are accepted! So until then please just use TUMonline for searching courses for your learning agreement without registration! Further information about how to register for courses and when will follow in a later information email from our side after you are accepted.)
If there are no courses listed for the semester you want to study in (which usually is the case as you are planning your studies in advance of faculty timetabling), just choose the same semester for which you are planning to come but for the previous year (the offered courses in each semester usually stay the same). Further information can be found here.
Please note: the main number of courses you are planning to attend at TUM need to be in the TUM department you will be registered in!
Please also note: Earlier / extra examinations for exchange students cannot be arranged at TUM! Examinations are depending from the TUM department but normally take place between February and March (winter term) / July and September (summer term).
- 15th of May for students who wish to study at TUM for the winter semester or the whole academic year.
- 31st of October for students who would like to study at TUM during the summer semester.
Please note: your complete application documents and the e-nominations need to be at TUM by May 15th respec. October 31st at the latest!!
Note: after the official deadline your complete application documents will then be checked by the appropriate faculty members at TUM. Following the International Office of TUM will send you a letter of admission from July (for the winter term) respectively from December (for the summer term) by email. It is only then that you will have officially been accepted as an exchange student.