Erasmus+ Student Mobility Program (SMS)
Erasmus+ is the EU's program to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Since 1987 it has enabled millions of students to spend part of their studies in another European country. TUM promotes studying abroad in 32 European countries via Erasmus+. Each year, we try our best for about 900 students to enjoy an unforgettable stay abroad. Learn everything about the Erasmus+ Student Mobility Program (SMS).
All TUM schools and departments take part in the Erasmus+ program and have agreements with more than 300 partner universities.
Opportunities for stays at selected partner universities are available in each field of study.
Please read testimonials and inquire about the numerous options.
Contact persons for questions regarding Erasmus+ SMS
There are two main places to go if you have any questions regarding the Erasmus+ Student Mobility program:
- The Erasmus Office of the International Center provides general information about the Erasmus+ program and grants. The team also supports you with valuable information regarding linguistic and intercultural preparation.
Contact person by destination
Dalma Alagha: Austria, Bulgaria, Cypres, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Malta, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey
Frauke Denniger: Danmark, Estonia, Finland, United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden
- The Erasmus Delegates of the faculties inform you about the application procedure and modalities, selection criteria, partner universities and recognition procedures.
Benefits of the Erasmus+ program (SMS)
The Erasmus+ Student Mobility Program (SMS) offers students and graduates financial and administrative benefits:
- Exemption from student fees at the host university (for studies, enrollment, examinations, access to laboratories and libraries, etc.)
- Financial support
- Payment of a mobility grant. The amount will depend on the country, duration and academic year.
- Special funding for students with special needs (i.a. students with children) and handicapped students (pdf, 42,7 KB)
Annex E1: Grant allowance for severely handicapped students (pdf, 53,2 KB)
Annex E2: Allowance for severely handicapped grant recipients (SMS/SMP, ST) (pdf, 51,5 KB)
Annex E3: Grant for studying single parents with children abroad (SMS only)(pdf, 33,8 KB)
- You may also apply for federally funded study abroad aid (Auslands-BAföG)
- Option of taking a leave of absence from TUM
- Academic recognition of academic performance abroad
- Support from the host institution regarding accommodation, cultural offers, etc.
- Option for participation in a free tutor-led online language course via the Online Linguistic Support (OLS)
- Option of combining studies and an internship abroad in a single stay (SMS), as long as the duration of the internship does not exceed 2 months. Longer internships are supported via SMP.
Further benefits for TUM students
In addition to the benefits of an Erasmus+ Student Mobility (SMS), further grant options and services are available to TUM Erasmus participants through the International Center:
- Cost reimbursement for visa applications
- Grants for language courses in preparation for the Erasmus stay to be completed either in Munich (for languages not offered by the TUM Language Center) or in the host country.
- Opportunity to participate in a training course on intercultural communication offered by the Language Center. Further information about the “Fit for Exchange” seminar is available on the Language Center website.
- Help from TUM students for international exchange students coming to Munich with finding accommodation.
Requirements for participation
Students must meet the following requirements in order to apply for the Erasmus+ Student Mobility Program (SMS):
- Planned stay of a minimum duration of three months and a maximum duration of twelve months
- Successful completion of the first year of studies
- Enrollment in a TUM degree program leading to a university degree (incl. a doctoral degree)
- Sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction in the host country.
- Successful completion of at least one term-accompanying course at the partner university as a prerequisite for the Erasmus+ grant
Applications for the academic year 2018/2019 (WS 2018/2019 and SS 2019) are managed with the database MoveON. Please use the form Application for Erasmus+ SMS, Switzerland, Double Degree and Departmental Program 2018/19.
Application period: Friday, December 1, 2017, 8 am – Friday, January 12, 2018, 12 pm
For registration use only your TUM e-mail address. You can list up to four destination preferences. Please upload the following application documents:
- Letter of motivation
- CV with picture
- Language certificates
- Academic records of previous semester
- Preliminary study plan* at the host institution
Make sure to hand in your application as soon as possible because we connot exclude technical problems.
Please also note:
- You can fill in the online form only once.
- Please keep your login data in mind. You will need it again later on.
The application deadline in most departments is January 12, 2018 at noon (except for Medicine). Please contact the Erasmus coordinator of your department to check if this is also applicable for your department and to check whether you need to hand in other additional documents.
Faculties using an additional application system to MoveON are: Faculty of Architecture and School of Management. Please contact these faculties directly for further information.
*Please find all templates in the Downloads section.
Documents for the Erasmus grant
The Erasmus+ grant will be released after you have submitted the following documents:
- Grant Agreement This document will be provided to students via e-mail. The signed original form must be submitted to the International Center.
- Learning Agreement for studies (Section 1) and annexes. Please also read the Guidelines on How to Complete the Learning Agreement.*
- OLS language test Invitations to complete the language test will be sent automatically via Mail by the OLS system. In addition, the EU offers free tutor-led online language courses via the OLS platform.
During your stay abroad
- Learning Agreement (Section 2). If you would like to make changes to your Learning Agreement please complete section 2 of the form and submit it via e-mail at latest 7 weeks after commencing your stay.
- Confirmation of Stay* You must have it signed by your supervisor at the host university before your departure.
After your stay
- Confirmation of Stay
- Transcript of Records (if possible, including your ECTS Credits)
- Travel Report*
- EU Survey for the European Commission. Students will automatically receive their login details from the EU database.
- OLS online language test Invitations to complete the language test will be sent automatically via Mail by the OLS system.
- Alignment Learning Agreement and Transcript of Records*
All documents have to be uploaded in MoveON via the form "After Mobility Documents (Erasmus SMS and SMP, SEMP, Double Degree)". You can only submit the complete filled form. If you have forgotten your password, you can request a new one there
For detailed information about the above-mentioned documents and the Erasmus+ Program, please see the checklist.
*Please find all templates in the Downloads section.
Downloads for your stay abroad
What is Erasmus+?
Erasmus+ is the program for education, youth and sports of the European Union. For further information, please visit the website of the European Commission.