The ATHENS Programme: Study One Week in Europe
The ATHENS Programme offers students and doctoral candidates of TUM the possibility of an easy stay abroad at 24 partner universities in Europe. Twice a year – in mid-March and mid-November – specialized courses take place at the same time at all ATHENS universities.
You would like to gain first experience abroad and get to know the life, teaching and mentality at a major European University? Then take advantage of the ATHENS Programme and attend an one-week intensive course on engineering and natural sciences, mathematics, computer science, political science and economics at one of the ATHENS partner universities. Participation in the program is free of charge, the costs for travel and accommodation have to be paid by yourself.
How it works
- Select at least three courses at the participating partner universities
- Apply online via the ATHENS portal and register on MoveON
- Nomination and confirmation by ATHENS coordinators
- Participate in the 30-hour intensive course incl. final exam
- Participate in the 10- to 15-hour European Dimension Program
- Upload an experience report to MoveON for the record of stay in the Diploma Supplement
Participation requirements for the ATHENS week
In order to apply for the ATHENS Programme, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Enrollment at the TUM
- Fulfilling the respective course requirements, see course descriptions
- First year of study successfully completed
Dates and deadlines
The next ATHENS week will take place from November 17 to 24, 2018.
The course catalog is available from July 9, 2018. Application period: July 9 to September 30, 2018
1. Course selection
- In the ATHENS course catalog you will find the courses offered for the upcoming session. Find out about the course requirements in the course descriptions. For some courses subject-related knowledge is necessary, other courses are only available for students of higher semesters.
- Choose at least three courses from the course offer. This increases your chances of participation.
- The course language is usually English. However, some courses offered by French partner universities are in French. Please ask in case of doubt.
2. Online application via ATHENS portal and MoveON
- Fill out and sign the application form
- Sign the student commitment
- Write a motivation letter: half to one page, in German or English, explain the course selection
- After final course selection in the ATHENS portal register on MoveON, with TUM e-mail address
- Complete the form "Application for ATHENS"
- Upload signed documents and motivation letter to MoveON
3. Selection and confirmation
The selection for a place in one of the courses is made by the ATHENS coordinators based on your application. Confirmations / rejections will be announced in mid-October 2018.
In time for the ATHENS session, a pre-departure meeting will take place at the TUM Campus, where important questions can be clarified before departure. You will receive an invitation by e-mail.
- The participation in the intensive course and the cultural activities is mandatory. Please inform yourself in good time about the date of the kick-off event at your partner university.
- Please note that your registration is binding.
- If you cancel your participation for unpredictable reasons, please note the cancellation deadlines when using the "Housing Option" as you will have to pay the cancellation fees by yourself.
- In case your ATHENS stay needs to be interrupted due to any unforeseen circumstances TUM cannot bear any related costs. We strongly recomend to buy flexible tickets.
Record in the Diploma Supplement and ECTS
After successfully participating in the ATHENS Programme and submitting an ATHENS report, your stay abroad will be printed in the Diploma Supplement. Furthermore a mobility subsidy of 60 Euro will be paid off by the International Center.
- Successful participation in the specialized course and the European Dimension Program
- Upload an experience report (2-4 pages) to MoveON
Reports from other ATHENS participants can be found in our online database.
ATHENS courses are awarded 2 ECTS at the TUM. Please inquire in advance about the possibilities for recognition within your degree program with the Examination Office or your departmental student advisor.